Dual Fuel Meter Installer / Fixer interview ...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gassy_NE

Reaction score
I'm a qualified domestic gas engineer and have a dual fuel meter installer interview next week, the job will involve installing single and three phase meters.

I don't hold any electrical quals (the company are aware of this) but obviously I want to get a heads up before the interview, there will be an electrical practical test and some electrical questions.

Could anyone shed some light on the type of practical test / questions I should expect relating to the single and three phase meters? Also are there any sources on the internet I could use to gather more information.

Any help massively appreciated, had my eye on this type of job for a while so want to give myself as much of a chance as possible.

Cheers.

Can you write and read numbers? (e.g. 1,2,3,4 for Single Phase (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. for 3 PHASE)

Can you use a screw driver?

About all you will need to be a Meter fixer it would seem.

Can you write and read numbers? (e.g. 1,2,3,4 for Single Phase (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. for 3 PHASE)Can you use a screw driver?

About all you will need to be a Meter fixer it would seem.
if he can, he's probably too qualified for the job

Come on lads, you can do better than that surely?!

Bit of helpful information on the questions in the opening post wouldn't go a miss (single and three phase meters etc.)!

Cheers.

I dont think many of us would really know what to expect,

it is a fairly basic thing, and it does boil down to numbering each cable to the relevant terminal,

its really not rocket science, I know you may be nervous, but its not as hard as you are obviously thinking.

Cheers Steptoe, any websites or owt I can get some technical information for single and three phase meters? Are both domestic?

The only thing I'm worried about is the amount of competition there will be going for this job, that's why I need to have everything covered!

So let me get this straight, a gas fitter can install electric meters with no previous electrical experience? Not rocket science? no but neither is putting pipes together - its only gas/water tight conduit after all. So we can apply to install gas meters too?

Must admit, there is some cracking advice on this thread! :_|

wouldn't have thought the money was worth it gassy??
Vacancies are massively thin on the ground at the minute binky, had couple of interviews over the past few weeks and got another few coming up, wish I was in a position to pick and choose but I'm not. The money isn't great but getting more gas experience and some electrical experience will be good, plus I'm treating this job as a stepping stone to setting up on my own, need the break!

Can anyone point me in the direction of single and three phase meter information? There's only so much Google searching I can do!

Cheers...

Been doing the gas for just over a year, started as a career change after working in a design office for almost 5 years, was in the Army for 5 years before that ... I think I've found an industry I'm suited to!

First, Gassy, let me offer an apology, we can be a cynical bunch at times. :)

The first thing you need to know is that, with electricity, you need to interrupt the source of supply BEFORE you start work. Gas can be allowed to escape to the atmosphere without a problem ( as long as you leave the roll-ups in the van) but not so with electricity.

You will need to know how to remove the service fuse safely, or with 3-phase the three service fuses. However, the most important thing that you will need to know is when it is SAFE to remove the service fuse(s). This should be covered in your subsequent training, if you get the job.

An electrician will know when it is (acceptably) safe to pull a fuse, and when to say "No way, get the DNO (supplier) in". The training that you will receive should cover this.

From a Health and Safety point of view, you should also be aware of what may go wrong when you try to isolate the supply, and have knowledge of the PPE (personal protective equipment) that you need to afford you some protection against such mishaps. Again, this should be part of your subsequent training. However, an awareness of the dangers of what you are doing should hold you in good stead. Think "arc flash", disintegrating fuse holder, the whole lot falling off the wall etc.

And finally, always remove the load BEFORE you remove a fuse, in other words turn off the consumer unit(s) first. And don't forget to turn them on again after the meter is changed or the customer will not be happy.

Good luck.

You'll be issued with a visor and gloves i would expect and probably not be involved in anything more than 100A for a while.

G4S and imserv seem to be doing alot of this locally, as well as british gas. I run into them constantly and have recently been replacing VIR or undersized tails/meter boards/ providing isolation etc as I work for the DNO.

As above, remove load before pulling fuses. Not so much of a problem in a single phase house etc, but a bit different in a commercial 3p building with 3p machines.

Just number the tails, makes it easy to identify it correctly. I've seen reverse polarity's from some guys in a similar position as you and it doesn't end well. Keep your sealing pliers safe! Once you get your head round teleswitches or timeclocks etc they become second nature.

Will you be doing metering with CT's (Current Transformers), 200A etc? or is it mostly domestic?

Last edited by a moderator: