Dust Extraction Delay Off and Power Tool Relay Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Gill

Reaction score
I am trying to design a circuit for a small DIY woodworkers workshop that enables a dust extractor to be automatically turned on when a power tool (table saw, router table, rotary sander, thicknesser, etc.) is operated and then delay the dust extractor turn off when the power tool is stopped. The circuit will have three modes of operation: Auto, Override , Stop and Bypass.

Auto mode allows a current sensor to control when the dust extractor is on or off
Override mode is when the dust extractor can be operated manually when not in Auto mode, i.e. independent of a power tool being operated to operate the current sensor.
Stop mode which cancels both the preceding modes.
Bypass Mode allows the double gang socket outlets to be used independent of auto mode.

4 status lights are included: Red - stop mode, Orange - current sensor bypass, blue - auto mode and green - override mode
Components of the circuit are a relay, timer delay relay, a contactor and a current sensor, 4 coloured status lights and 3 instantaneous push buttons 1 N/C (stop) and 2 N/O which become electrically latched (in theory) when operated.

I have built a bench test version of the circuit and tested all terminals, relays and connections for continuity. With power applied the red indicator light illuminates, but nothing else works.

I have been unable to determine whether it is my circuit design that is wrong or something else.

I've linked a folder containing circuit diagram, a control box wiring schematic, operating instructions: Link to files

Can any kind soul work out if there is anything wrong with my logic and diagrams and why the circuit doesn't work as intended.

1/ Welcome to the forum Paul...

2/ Well written question including links to other relevant info...

3/ Its Friday and I've had too many 🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻 to fully think out exactly what you are asking...

4/ One of your images does not look like typical UK sockets, although your profile states you are UK? is this correct?
forum question.JPG

5/ If I can figure out that the sockets in the image are not typical UK sockets, Then I still have not had enough 🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻for a Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

6/ So I am off to get another beer!

Trailer Boy,

The picture at your item No. 4 is using sockets and plugs from the Far East but this is of no matter. I pulled this picture as a screen grab from a utube video and it was the starting point for designing my own more sophisticated circuit (well it would be it worked). They round 3 pin type European type sockets with a live, neutral and earth.

I am based in the UK and my circuit I hope adheres to UK regs and is sized accordingly should it ever come to fruition and I find an electrician to install for me in my garage workshop.

The left hand twin socket is where the power tool would be plugged n for power and the right hand socket is where the dust extractor is plugged in and controlled accordingly by the timer relay and the current sensor. These are equivalent to my CR2 and CR4 respectively.

Hope you enjoyed the beers.

Regards

Paul

a lot of trades man hoovers have this functionality.

almost all dust extractors don't though

when i get round to it, going to do something similar on mine, although was probably going to fit a microswitch on the blast gate instead. at the moment its a walk to the extractor to switch on & off and connect the hose

Locked to prevent ill feeling

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.