Earth cable to no where

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newman

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder of anybody can help me,my daughter is soon to start university 2nd year rentting a private property with 3 other girls through a letting agent.they viewed the property in Febuary and said it was ok, since July there has been extensive alterations including a compleat new kitchen fitted.On inspection I noticed an earth wire fastend to the water pipes but then flapping in the wind.

What I would like to know is

1 Should this wire go to the fuse box

2 In your opinion is it important

3 Is there any special certificate to say the wiring for the house is OK

4 Is there a legal requirment for the electrics of a rented house

Thanks

PS if any body can remember my last post about my poorly fitted solar panels,you will be glad to know ,thanks to this forum, everthing now seems to work great.................except for the sunshine

1: bonding to gas & water etc go to the MET. which may or may not be the consumer unit

2: yes

3: EICR

4: no, but the law does state it should be in a safe condition

PS if any body can remember my last post about my poorly fitted solar panels,you will be glad to know ,thanks to this forum, everthing now seems to work great.................except for the sunshine
Why not go back to that old thread and tell us all what they did to rectify the problem.

Thanks.

could be supplementary bonding or cross bonding maybe it wasn't judged to have been needed when the work was completed.

Just to clarify something thats been said above...

All extraneous metalwork and services should be equipotentially bonded within 600mm of where that service enters the property on the customers side of any metering and/or isolation alve and before any branch or Tee

That means that the pipes should be earthed back to the MET if they are connected to the water and/or gas where they enter the property,,,,, if it's just an earth cable connected to the hot and cold pipes then this could be supplementary bonding which also often connected to the sink/drainer and is no longer required by the regs

duty of care. its more or less a given that installations should realy have eicr's every change of occupancy.

if it's just an earth cable connected to the hot and cold pipes then this could be supplementary bonding which also often connected to the sink/drainer and is no longer required by the regs
That was my first thought

duty of care. its more or less a given that installations should realy have eicr's every change of occupancy.
The trouble with ...more or less....where money is concerned ,it is generally less

Why cant anything be writen down so it HAS to be law to have eicr's every change of occupancy.

i am currently looking into renting out my house through various letting agents, all of which require eicrs every time a new occupant is in. what exactly is involved in a visual? my company has a contract on a large rental agency's property's and we do full eicrs every time too. not saying your wrong, its a load of rubbish at the mo really. its pretty obvious if anythings changed in that time just by having a look around.

Most UNIts insist on their approved student rentals having EICRs done, MCR does anyway AFAIK.

Newman, are you about tomorrow? Would be good to call up if possible, :|

The ESC's guide for landlords is worth a read but bear in mind a lot is just that..........a "guide". I think where a house is sub-divided for the purpose of say student letting then you also get into the communal areas thing. Better minds here can confirm:Guidance for landlords : Electrical Safety Council
A standard two floor, domestic property, with up to 4 students using a bedroom each and shared bathroom kitchen and lounge has no specific additional requirements than a standard domestic dwelling with a single family living in it. Where three floors are involved, or the property is physically constructed with individual kitchens and doors to lock off the separate living accommodation, (as in a house converted to two or more self contained flats), then the aspect of multiple occupancy and communal access corridors become important. See also the ESC's guidance for tenants.

Renting a Property: Tenants : Electrical Safety Council

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was made at 07:59 ----------

Hi,I wonder of anybody can help me,my daughter is soon to start university 2nd year rentting a private property with 3 other girls through a letting agent.they viewed the property in Febuary and said it was ok, since July there has been extensive alterations including a compleat new kitchen fitted.On inspection I noticed an earth wire fastend to the water pipes but then flapping in the wind.

What I would like to know is

1 Should this wire go to the fuse box

2 In your opinion is it important

3 Is there any special certificate to say the wiring for the house is OK

4 Is there a legal requirment for the electrics of a rented house

Thanks

Have you asked the landlord or the letting agent for a copy of the most recent electrical safety certificate (EIC) or inspection report (EICR) and the most recent Gas safety certificate. Providing the landlord can show you a signed certificate from an appropriate contractor, then he has exercised a reasonable duty of care and unless you can prove it is unsafe nothing will happen. The electrical certificates are the exact same ones you will (or should) have for your own home. Assuming it has been tested in the past 10 years? But then again a lot of homeowners don't seem to apply the same duty of care in their own homes that they expect landlords to do.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts