earth fault loop impedance zs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been posted in the student and learning zone and as such only factual answers relating to BS 7671 should be given. Whatever your personal thoughts are, they should not be given to a student whilst they are learning, this only causes more confusion.

OK, then,

You can't do both.

You can't get your Ze figure by enquiry and then calculate your Zs..........you will not have confirmed that the installation even has an earth..... one or the other has to be measured.

Also, R1 +R2 of the circuit might have been measured some days previous.......prior to termination in CU and, a lot of the time, prior to terminations of accesories (2nd Fix).

To then assume that all CPCs are still nicely connected and that you still have an earth path would be silly.......and calculating Zs will not prove that there is (still an earth path.)

Dead testing will always be carried out prior to connection to the power supply, the tester must be fully confident that the circuit to be energised has been fully tested. This is a set procedure to verify the integrity of the circuit before connecting to the power source. R1+R2 should be carried out with all accesories connected and the result taken as a final reading, verification before connections is only to test before second fixing that all is well to second fix. If we stick to the requirements of BS 7671 which is what the OP will be tested on, we have to state facts, and not opinions.

Also, R1 +R2 of the circuit might have been measured some days previous.......prior to termination in CU and, a lot of the time, prior to terminations of accessories (2nd Fix).To then assume that all CPCs are still nicely connected and that you still have an earth path would be silly.......and calculating Zs will not prove that there is (still an earth path.)
R1+R2 will invariably involve one or both conductors being unterminated at the CU in order to join them together. Assuming a typical lighting circuit, loop in - out either at light fittings or switches, or a typical socket circuit, ring or radial. I fail to see how you are going to get much of an R1+R2 anywhere without having the accessories second fixed. Prior to that they are just a lot of cable ends sticking out of back boxes. It sounds like a lot of wasted work to join all the cable ends up to do some readings, then disconnect them again to 2nd fix.

Doc H.

R1+R2 will invariably involve one or both conductors being unterminated at the CU in order to join them together. Assuming a typical lighting circuit, loop in - out either at light fittings or switches, or a typical socket circuit, ring or radial. I fail to see how you are going to get much of an R1+R2 anywhere without having the accessories second fixed. Prior to that they are just a lot of cable ends sticking out of back boxes. It sounds like a lot of wasted work to join all the cable ends up to do some readings, then disconnect them again to 2nd fix.Doc H.
You might want to confirm that you have 'continuity' where there should be continuity - and Insulation Resistance where there should be Insulation Resistance.....................before the plasterers come in and board it all. :)

Also, a true R1 + R2 measurement is a measurement of the resistance of the 'Line' conductor (R1) added to the resistance of the CPC (R2).

You might think I'm stating the obvious here, but what I mean is it is ONLY R1 + R2 - nothing else...............it shouldn't include things like earthed 'exposed conductive parts' - for example steel conduit or cable tray (unless specifically designed as the CPC for the circuit), so the measurement would be taken before 2nd fix, before all the little 'flyleads' etc are connected up - otherwise, why bother measuring it at all?

Calculating Zs will tell you that your 'disconnection times' should or shouldn't be met - measuring Zs will tell you that they will or they won't........a huge difference, and that is a fact.

Your both right and wrong, using calculated Zs is a perfectly acceptable method of PROVING that disconnection times can be met. A normal installation only has to meet the standard 0.4 sec disconnection times, if you calculate everything rather than test, you will see that almost every installation, 100% of domestics, will disconnect well below 0.2 sec. Calculating given the highest Ze reading possible is also far superior to any recorded tests, in that you are indeed proving that under any circumstances all devises will work to clear a fault at the required speeds, if not faster.

However the OP is a student, and regardless of what we think is right, the facts are that we have to reply giving the facts as stated in BS7671.

This is the only post he has made..........if there is a question in there, I'll gladly answer it for him and quote all the Regs that you like. :)

im currently studing my level 3 electrical installation and just need someone to clarify the earth fault loop impedance zs procedure because something in my notes doesnt add up
I disagree with the 'sticking to the facts' and 'only say what's written in the Regs' - if he wanted that, he can find the answer in the Regs.

When I was studying, I liked nothing better than going in with an opinion on something and having a good discussion........as opposed to quoting the Regs and saying "that's that"

He'll probably learn a lot more from sparks' opinions and reasons than he will from straight quotation from the Regs, anyway.........but, as always, it's your forum, so....so be it.

Its not my forum, I like am like you a member.

I have a very good reason to answer as I do, and that is real world experiance, and college work are two very different animals.

I would never suggest to a student to go against anything taught, because he WILL FAIL any exam.

Indeed, I think that when a level has been acheived it is good to question deeper.Until then stick to facts.

The fact that the original question is a little vague does not help, but still we have to stay within the facts if we are ever going to help.

You might want to confirm that you have 'continuity' where there should be continuity - and Insulation Resistance where there should be Insulation Resistance.....................before the plasterers come in and board it all. :) Also, a true R1 + R2 measurement is a measurement of the resistance of the 'Line' conductor (R1) added to the resistance of the CPC (R2).

You might think I'm stating the obvious here, but what I mean is it is ONLY R1 + R2 - nothing else...............it shouldn't include things like earthed 'exposed conductive parts' - for example steel conduit or cable tray (unless specifically designed as the CPC for the circuit), so the measurement would be taken before 2nd fix, before all the little 'flyleads' etc are connected up - otherwise, why bother measuring it at all?

Calculating Zs will tell you that your 'disconnection times' should or shouldn't be met - measuring Zs will tell you that they will or they won't........a huge difference, and that is a fact.
Said the man who was leaving the forum and never coming back in November!

I guess that was something else you misinterpreted?

Cable tray = exposed conductive part! :Chmm?

Measuring Zs will include all your bondings and exposed conductive parts etc...

that you are so anxious to avoid in you R1+R2 bit...

But if they happen to become disconnected, because the plumber chops off an earth wire, may result in Zs not meeting the requirements of Chapter 41!

Whereas the R1+R2+Ze will be just the Earth fault loop impedance path as described in 2.7.14 of Guidance Note 3.

;)

Trouble with calculating Zs this will not tell you if you have lost a neutral.
as opposed to measuring it will?

:red card

you really should know better batty. . . .

or do you have a secret method of measuring a fault current that flows between Line and cpc that now uses neutral as well.?!?!?!?!?!

please think hard before you answer that one.

Here we go again.

Said the man who was leaving the forum and never coming back in November!Not necessarily.

I guess that was something else you misinterpreted?

I thought I'd give people the benefit of the doubt - shouldn't have bothered......... If I said the 'Neutral' was classed as a 'live' conductor, there are some on here who would argue the toss.

Cable tray = exposed conductive part! :Chmm?

Depends how you read my statement - maybe I should have put a comma after 'conduit'............but there again, it's ADS, so lets be picky......you know very well what my point was!

Measuring Zs will include all your bondings and exposed conductive parts etc...

Yes, but if you are determining Zs - and the definition of Zs includes parallel paths - then those things should be included in your result...........otherwise, you haven't got the figure for Zs, you've got the figure for Ze + R1 + R2.

that you are so anxious to avoid in you R1+R2 bit...

I'm not anxious to avoid them........but again, if you are going to measure R1 + R2, then measure it! - Don't measure it with all kinds of parallel paths and then call it R1 + R2.....because it's not!

But if they happen to become disconnected, because the plumber chops off an earth wire, may result in Zs not meeting the requirements of Chapter 41!

Maybe, and if your auntie had b**ls, she'd be your uncle.

Whereas the R1+R2+Ze will be just the Earth fault loop impedance path as described in 2.7.14 of Guidance Note 3.

Yes, your right.........calculation will confirm the resistance/impedance of your Earth fault loop path.....but it won't confirm that there actually is a path!

What if the installer has inadvertently clamped down on a bit of the sheath/insulation, instead of copper, when re-terminating the CPC, after measuring R1 + R2........your calculation will prove Zs is within the limits, but, oh dear, high resistance joint at least, no earth path at worse.

Lets face it, Specs, if I said it was white, you'd say it was black.

;)

as opposed to measuring it will? :red card

you really should know better batty. . . .

or do you have a secret method of measuring a fault current that flows between Line and cpc that now uses neutral as well.?!?!?!?!?!

please think hard before you answer that one.
Well I may be wrong Steps but my Fluke meter normally tells me if my neutral is not connected they seem quite clever these Fluke meters.

it will, but it will also think its ok if you put your N probe on the cpc, or simply do a 2 wire test it doesnt even need the neutral probe at all,

oh, the other thing is, it will only tell you if it has a reference point from the 'neutral', not if it is actually connected to the N.

im currently studing my level 3 electrical installation and just need someone to clarify the earth fault loop impedance zs procedure because something in my notes doesnt add up
Hello again jamiep93, I must apologies for some members who seem to like arguing their own opinions on other peoples threads. I assume you have access to a copy of BS7671? Part 2, definitions describes what Zs, Ze, R1, R2 and 'Earth Fault Loop Impedance' are. Guidance note 3 Inspection and testing gives greater detail about determining the earth fault loop impedance. I appreciate that not all students have access to copies of the guidance notes, so for the sake of clarity and to avoid petty arguments, I have added a small extract from guidance note 3 which hopefully may help you and possibly some other members, to understand the relationship between Zs, Ze, R1, R2.

ZS=R1+R2+ZE.jpg

Clearly Zs may be determined by calculation or measurement, and the calculation is Zs = Ze, + (R1, + R2). Also Ze, R1, & R2 have no direct relation to any building metal work, (such as cable trays). On new installation work there should be no reason for not determining Zs by both calculation and measurement, indeed it is a good verification and self checking method. On alteration work to existing installations there are various situations where either calculation or measurement may be a preferred method due to safety issues around live working or inability to remove parallel paths from a resistance reading. Please do not get misguided by some of the incorrect comments previously posted. If you could please post any further question of detail that you need help on, we will try to keep this thread back on topic.

Doc H.

EARTH LOOP IMPEDANCE CALC OR MEASURE.jpg

You use a loop impedance tester and set it to bellow 20ohms then test between live and earth. If it is on a switch make sure that the switch and the breaker is before test and the reading for a lighting circuit usually has quite a high maximum zs reading for a type b breaker usually 6.18ohms and for a socket circuit make sure that the circuit breaker is on and plug in the loop impedance meter set at 20ohms the reading should get higher as you test each socket until you get to the mid point then it will start to drop. Take the reading from the mid point. It usually for a type b breaker shouldn't exceed 1.16ohms.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:27 ----------

If you use a modern meter then I think it should just be set at loop impedance or zs.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:30 ----------

There is no need to complicate things like that bud lol all that the guy needs to know is how to do the test and where to find the max zs readings simple.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:33 ----------

Oh and between each socket there should be no more than 0.05ohms otherwise there could be a slack connection in that socket.causing a higher resistance.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:38 ----------

I wouldn't do this in a trade test but according to niceic they actually want you to pre-determine the zs rather than do it on a lighting circuit do to the fact that you are carrying this test out at a light. They believe it is to dangerous, so they don't want you doing it.

Latest posts