Earth rods

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudassar08

Reaction score
Hello people!
Should earth rods be visible or in a enclosure with the box visible
I cant see mine anywhere TT system..

What tests were done to prove that your water pipe was a good reference earth?

Otherwise you are trying to measure a suspect voltage on an unproven continuity CPC..
to a completely up-proven reference point?
Which I cannot see any sense or valid reason for doing?

In my book its either prove CPC continuity with dead tests first..
OR if you were trying to measure any suspect voltages..
get a long lead to use as a reference point back to the main-earth connection at the CU, or at suppliers connection point if accessible?

Any other methods of measuring random voltages are just pi55ing in the wind guessing at numbers for no practical purpose, to prove nothing!?

What are you trying to prove?
(a) Your meter can show random induced voltages?
(b) There is no continuous CPC connection back to the CU?
(c) Your CPC is good but the water pipe has an induced voltage?
(d) It's pointless trying to do random tests with the wrong meter because your other one was at home?
(e) Some unknown person in the past has connected "non-Class II" accessories onto pre 1966 lighting circuits?
(f) Other??
Follow this advice

With that kind of Ze reading the Ra of the actual rod on its own could be far higher so I wouldn't waste time trying to find it. You could spend hours searching so I'd rather spend the time just installing a new one and getting a better impedance value.

It sounds to me as though you probably need a competent electrician to call in and check the incoming supply characteristics to establish what the actual earthing arrangements are for the installation...

OR.. make enquiries with the DNO to see what they say the earthing arangements should be..
Earth rods are one method of providing an earth electrode. section 542, BS7671 gives guidance..

Also 411.5.3 does recommend the earth loop impedance should be as low as possible,
and that greater than 200ohms could be unstable, so 116ohms may not be the end of the world.

Although all joints should be accessible for inspection and testing...
I have been to numerous older properties where various "essential" connections have become buried, hidden or just inaccessible!!

I'm not convinced these types of investigations and/or testing are within the scope of most DIY'ers?

As Marvo said sink in a new rod and be done with it, hopefully you have an SDS.