Earth wire warning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unshockable

Reaction score
Just went to look at a bathroom, it had x2 mettle spots, one above the shower the other above the sink, neither working, i pulls down the one above shower..earth wire hanging off, i reconect it, i pull down the other spot..the same earth wire was connected to live..i kid you not, i could have been zapped standing in the shower had i not seen the second one and hit the power..pheeeeewwGuinness

Just went to look at a bathroom, it had x2 mettle spots, one above the shower the other above the sink, neither working, i pulls down the one above shower..earth wire hanging off, i reconect it, i pull down the other spot..the same earth wire was connected to live..i kid you not, i could have been zapped standing in the shower had i not seen the second one and hit the power..pheeeeewwGuinness
That will teach you for working on Sunday evenings.

:pray

How high above the shower was the light ? & what IP rating did it have.... just that the bit about it being equiped with an earthing requirement set me wondering .

a1spark.

Zone 1, ip44..i could stand in the shower and pull the spot out..put it that way, everything was also written up in chinese, the guy landlord admitted that it was a chinese building firm that carried out the work, the rest of the things that i spotted would take all night to list..but earth to live...i am just saying really that if you spot an earth wire come loose you are tempted to reconect it, but in this case i nearly killed myselfbad day explode

Zone 1, ip44..i could stand in the shower and pull the spot out..put it that way, everything was also written up in chinese, the guy landlord admitted that it was a chinese building firm that carried out the work, the rest of the things that i spotted would take all night to list..but earth to live...i am just saying really that if you spot an earth wire come loose you are tempted to reconect it, but in this case i nearly killed myselfbad day explode
Was the guy who fitted it called Wong Wey?

:slap

:coat

Wish i had taken pictures...i think he has been called all of the above at some time, one things for sure i will never just shove an earth wire back in without testing it, one of the other things they did...walk in to bedroom light switch on wall, turns on light above bed..where there is also another switch, instead of normal strappers and two way switching..first switch supplies power to second switch, second switch has 6 wires comming out of it, i didnt even try to work it out, even a first year leccy can work out two way switching