earthing a generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddybs23

Reaction score
I got this from a technician regarding a generator I bought :

'They have a floating chasis, therefore need to bond neutral and earth at the socket for RCD's to work.'

Does this mean I need to connect Neutral to Earth at the outlet of the generator, and then connect to my D.B. - as opposed to every socket/light etc.

the neutral/earth link must be before any RCD's. socket of genny is a good place. also link to chassis. you must not link this at each socket/light, otherwise your RCD will not work.

what exactly do you plan to run from the genny and what size is it? for most things, leaving it IT is OK, although if your feeding many things then making it TNS adding an RCD could be safer

10 lights and two sockets - i was going to put an earth rod in from the DB and protect with an RCD - is this ok?

is the genny the only source of supply? ideall the rod should be at the genny, but i cant see it being a major problem at the board if the genny feeds direct to that