Easy to swap existing (failed) inverter for a new one?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbladerman

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Sungrow Inverter has died and I’ve been doing some research re a reasonable cost replacement.

I’ve narrowed in on the Sungrow X1 Boost (G3) but would welcome your view as to whether a competent DIY’er could do the swap?

It’s just the A/C output to connect as well as the 2 PV strings - all terminated with the same connectors, so no problem there. The question is whether the Inverter Config will be a challenge?

FYI - I’ve installed a number of Solar systems to Motorhomes and boats and thus I’m generally familiar (I’ve also self built a house did all the electrics) - but the question is whether the Inverter will need some secret sauce info to enable.

Any thoughts?

Go for it. All the usual caveats, switch everything off including the panels before connecting. RTFM (Read The Manual) and commision it as instructed configuring the options you require.

We can't judge your competence on an internet forum and the fact you rewired a house and that it "works" does not suggest it is safe.

We can't judge your competence on an internet forum and the fact you rewired a house and that it "works" does not suggest it is safe.
A/C connection….probably easier than plugging in a kettle (remove plug - put plug in) - of course isolated with 2 A/C isolators, RCD and breaker.

D/C connection - 4 pre wired panel connector (after D/C isolators) - remove from existing inverter, plug into new inverter.

Also - re my house rewiring - it was a new self build - I did the work then it was certified / certificated by qualified Electricians.

The question I have is mainly around parameter settings; I of course welcome your constructive input.

Ps. I might do things DIY (especially after seeing first hand the calibre of some previous electricians I used) - but I’m neither stupid nor do I ignore sound advice.

A/C connection….probably easier than plugging in a kettle (remove plug - put plug in) - of course isolated with 2 A/C isolators, RCD and breaker.

D/C connection - 4 pre wired panel connector (after D/C isolators) - remove from existing inverter, plug into new inverter.

Also - re my house rewiring - it was a new self build - I did the work then it was certified / certificated by qualified Electricians.

The question I have is mainly around parameter settings; I of course welcome your constructive input.

Ps. I might do things DIY (especially after seeing first hand the calibre of some previous electricians I used) - but I’m neither stupid nor do I ignore sound advice.
Look here you, stop making out that this highly technical work is easy, some of these guys have spent years perfecting the way to get people to pay them money. If you so much as look at your inverter, the sky will cave in, there will be bolts of lightning everywhere and the world will end :):):)

Power up, set date and time, and that's about it for most inverters. Sometimes you need to set the country, but if you have bought from UK supplier, it usually comes preset. Give the manual a read before you power up, if there is anything to set, it normally goes through that sequence on initial power up. Changing anything after that is when it gets more difficult.

Power up, set date and time, and that's about it for most inverters. Sometimes you need to set the country, but if you have bought from UK supplier, it usually comes preset. Give the manual a read before you power up, if there is anything to set, it normally goes through that sequence on initial power up. Changing anything after that is when it gets more difficult.
Thanks. That’s very useful.