ECA membership

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Brennan

Reaction score
I have just had a call from the ECA saying that because i am now registered with elecsa i have met the technical standards to join the ECA.

The things i havnt met are trading as my current company name for over 12 months..

Anyway im a little confused as to why i would need to join the ECA when i am registered with elecsa etc etc, the things he was saying i would benifit from by joining them as well were things that Elecsa have in place for members anyway.

Has anyone else joined after becoming registered with Elecsa....Is there any need to join them as well or is it just another way to make money?

Never had a call or anything from ECA. IIRC, dont they want past year accounts and turnover has to be above a certain level?
yes has to be over 30 k

You almost always have to be a member of the ECA if you want government contracts and nhs contracts but not always.

You can join as a provisional member and would need to show two years accounts after that time to qualify.

The membership fees are related to your anual turnover.

They do help with gaining contracts through their membership and offer other advise.

I decided not to join because of the high fees, and current work demands but may join at a later date.

You almost always have to be a member of the ECA if you want government contracts and nhs contracts but not always.You can join as a provisional member and would need to show two years accounts after that time to qualify.

The membership fees are related to your anual turnover.

They do help with gaining contracts through their membership and offer other advise.

I decided not to join because of the high fees, and current work demands but may join at a later date.
To earn over 30k is a lot anyway and would exclude a lot of people, with way things are it certainly excludes me:D

Its based on your anual turnover so 30k is not a great deal of money even for domestic work.

Its if you are going to benifit from membership I decided at the time I would not, so I have put it on hold.

If your just starting out I would suggest building your base work up first, remember an anual fee has to come from somewhere, normally on each job.

This could make you less competative when going for some work.

What you guys have to rememember most of these institutions where set up before this part fart "sorry" part p came into effect.

The electrical contractors association is not a bad thing but then again it comes down to costs and to be honest your all small fry who can be thrown to the dogs because its run by accountants and professionals who have never held a screwdriver or even had a static electric shock never mind a real jolt!

Never ever trust a trade association or anyone but yourself they want your money and give sweet promises of nothing in return, but to qualify we have to suck ass and lick to our content.

Sorry but I am seriously thinking of becomming a cowboy because part p has gone all political and is virtually impossible to enforce.

(I love a hornets nest)