Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subneural

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to install a storage heater at a property which currently has no heating at all. Not done this before but it seems straight forward other than....

My question is over connecting the heater to the supply. The customer currently has a payment card meter and will need to get it changed to economy 7. Will the supplier change the current supply so that the whole house switches over to Economy 7 at night and therefore I connect into the current CU or will it need a seperate CU which the engineer will connect up to the 'Economy 7 only' tails?

Any help is very much appreciated.

You will need seperate consumer unit for eco7 stuff or get a dual rate board but seperate consumer unit is probably cheapest option.

Batty

Suppose you could connect it to a socket via a timer if it's only the one, but you have to assess the load that will be on that circuit when the heater is charging.... then what happens when the timeclock get altered by mistake.

Personally I wouldn't do it this way.