Immersion heater incorrectly wired on Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwin1

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I need your advice please.

My immersion heater (Ariston CLASSICO HE STD 150) has been wired incorrectly - the day element is wired to the night consumer unit and the night element is wired to the day consumer unit (I am on Economy 7). It is no longer under warranty.

I have contacted Ariston customer service and they have replied that a qualified engineer G3 unvented trained plumber or electrician should rewire it. Is this true or can someone with electrical experience or an electrician do it?

Are there particular considerations to take into account, apart from the usual ones that go with manipulating electric wiring?

Thank you,

Catherine

It's an electricians job. No need got G3, that's plumbing and you don't alter the plumbing to swap the immersion heaters over.

Depending how it has been done, it might be a very simple job indeed for any electrcian.

It's an electricians job. No need got G3, that's plumbing and you don't alter the plumbing to swap the immersion heaters over.

Depending how it has been done, it might be a very simple job indeed for any electrcian.
Thank you :)

I think incorrect is a bit strong. It may have been done this way deliberately
I thought that may be the case, to save on energy?
Problem is I don't have enough hot water in the day.
Someone explained to me on another thread a while back that the day unit shouldn't consume too much energy to heat up if I put an insulating jacket on it - would you agree?

I thought that may be the case, to save on energy?
Problem is I don't have enough hot water in the day.
Someone explained to me on another thread a while back that the day unit shouldn't consume too much energy to heat up if I put an insulating jacket on it - would you agree?
so is it a new tank with insualtion 'built on' or an old copper tank with no insulation at all?

the day element is wired to the night consumer unit and the night element is wired to the day consumer unit
when you say day element, is this at the top or bottom of the tank?

or are they marked day /night,

generally the day is at the top and the night is at the bottom, the day one is just to boost the temperature of the top half of the tank in the evening ,
putting an other jacket over the tank may not help as much as you think ,as these tanks are very well insulated already , put the jacket where you can feel the tank getting hot the most,

This is the unit, an Ariston CLASSICO HE STD 150:
https://www.mytub.co.uk/ariston-classico-std-150-direct-cylinder-product-409605
There's a scheme of electrical connections on the unit with the day element at the top and the night element at the bottom, I'm assuming that's how they're stacked. I checked where the wires go, the day element is wired to the off-peak consumer unit and the night element is wired to the peak/main consumer unit.

Sorry, I realise I got my wires crossed (pun intended) when I said the below in an earlier message! I meant the night element (well, the whole unit, really):

It does not have an insulation jacket.

Last edited:
It does not have an insulation jacket
Oh yes it does!

"ARISTON CLASSICO STD 150 DIRECT CYLINDER The quality steel tank is lined internally with an exclusive type of vitreous enamel coating. A magnesium anode protects against corrosion and the environmentally sound thermal tank insulation is also highly efficient against standing heat loss."

There's a scheme of electrical connections on the unit with the day element at the top and the night element at the bottom, I'm assuming that's how they're stacked. I checked where the wires go, the day element is wired to the off-peak consumer unit and the night element is wired to the peak/main consumer unit.
it does sound like you will need to get this changed ,if it does not fit in with your lifestyle,

Thank you all!

If I understand well, with the appropriate wiring, both elements will heat overnight instead of just the day one (in my case)?
How much more electricity do you think that will use? Double, or will the thermostat make it more efficient?

Thank you all!

If I understand well, with the appropriate wiring, both elements will heat overnight instead of just the day one (in my case)?
How much more electricity do you think that will use? Double, or will the thermostat make it more efficient?

No unless YOU leave both switches on all the time

Thank you all!

In general terms it would heat up twice as quick, using twice as much electricity for half as long. i.e. it will not be cheaper or more expensive.