Consumer units after switching from an Economy 7 tariff

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanabanana

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a single phase supply and have recently had it switched from Economy 7 to a standard flat rate tariff. This is because we want to replace the old storage heaters with standard electrical radiators.

We have 2 consumer units, the one on the right is the ’night-time’ supply on the old tariff and has the wiring for the storage heaters and immersion heater, the one on the left is for the remaining sockets and lights etc for the rest of the house. Since switching to the new tariff, the right one (storage heaters) no longer works. I was expecting this.

My question is, how much of a job is it to change the wiring so that the flat rate supply now activates both units, not just the left hand one? This is obviously a job I am not planning on doing myself and will get a sparky in to do. Does it involve a bit of reconfiguration with the thick supply wires or will I need a whole new one large consumer unit that takes in both of the old supplies?

Images of my supply and consumer unit are in the following link:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/rzX0p91/d6bd5210

Many thanks in advance,
Dan

Looks like you just need to move one live meter tail, from the Proteus box to the meter tail blocks,and remove the small grey ones. Don't attempt this yourself unless you like working with live mains supplies.

What is the motive to switch storage heaters, that heat up at cheap night rate, to panel heaters that use full rate electricity?

Has some company (possibly beginning with Fis......) convinced you their heaters are more efficient than anyone elses (tosh) and you will save money?

Latest posts