Economy 7 set up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enositis26

Reaction score
Hi all

I live on a flat and I am paying for eco7 tariff. I have the suspicion that although there is a meter in the flat for eco7, it actually isn't properly wired so i can make use of the night electricity rate. I have a 210L Immersion Heater with 2x 3.3KW elements, one for on demand use and the other one is the main element for heating up during night.
I have suspicions that the flat is not wired properly because the building was meant to have Storage heaters but due to costs, the contractors instead put underfloor heating, hence there was no real benefit, wiring the house for Eco7.
The problem is that now i pay the standing charges as normal, pay a lot higher electricity rate in the morning hours, and at night when i heat up my water tank although i do it after midnight, i still pay for day rate!!!
On the link below is my set-up. Anyone experienced enough to help? I think the meter is actually properly wired but from the meter to the black box and fusebox i feel that something is missing
https://ibb.co/YpcdnBq

You do have a dual rate meter, but nothing is connected to the switched off peak output. That would normally be used to power the storage heaters and main immersion heater.

You will still be metered at the cheap rate at night on everything the house uses. How is your immersion heater controlled? For it to automatically switch on during the off peak times, it will need it's own time switch which will have to be set at the E7 off peak times. Does it have this?

If the whole property is heated with electric UFH (about the worst choice possible) then most of your usage will be in the day or evening, so it is questionable if it is even worth having an off peak tariff because you usually pay more for your day rate with E7

Hi Dave thanks for taking the time to respond to my query. I really appreciate it.

If the off peak output is not wired, doesn't it mean that the meter will only go up as per the standing charge? If is not connected anywhere it surely won't be consuming electricity during night time i thought.

The immersion boiler has a Hortsmann controller which I can boost (during day) or will come on during the set times of the off peak.
My fear is that yes it does come on during the off peak times, however as this is not wired on the meter, it actually consumes day rate tariff.

The meter meters the whole house, cheap rate at night, peak rate in the daytime.

In addition it switches on the off peak output on the right hand terminal (that only goes as far as the black box in your case) that would normally power the storage heaters so they only came on during the off peak time.

Unless you have a timer, your immersion heater could be coming on at any time night or day, so it might me peak rate it might be off peak rate.

Is this a rented flat or bought?

This is a rented property.
Is a mess mate. They came to put a smart meter and since then the immersion heater isnt working.

I dont have hot water. for 6 days now. This is because i wanted to move to a single tariff as it was cheaper for me. It might be the main element of the immersion heater is now gone or something.

Hortsmann controller is set up to off peak times 11:30pm to 6:30am.
They now changed the smart meter to a new smart meter. They asked us to go back to Eco7 to see if this will solve the problem. I dont see how this will solve the issue though. We did a live wire test, The booster element draws load as normal, I set up the off peak times outside of Off peak period to do the test. Wire was live but no load was drawn. So it could be the element? My argument was that maybe the isolater (black box) although it seemed it had a redundant 5th cable going no where, it was actually responsible to switch over to night Tariff and draw the load at night. Still it wouldn't make sense though.... Just being desparate and wondering why moving from old meter to smart meter, screwed up my immersion heater.

This is a rented property.
Is a mess mate. They came to put a smart meter and since then the immersion heater isnt working.

I dont have hot water. for 6 days now. This is because i wanted to move to a single tariff as it was cheaper for me. It might be the main element of the immersion heater is now gone or something.

Hortsmann controller is set up to off peak times 11:30pm to 6:30am.
They now changed the smart meter to a new smart meter. They asked us to go back to Eco7 to see if this will solve the problem. I dont see how this will solve the issue though. We did a live wire test, The booster element draws load as normal, I set up the off peak times outside of Off peak period to do the test. Wire was live but no load was drawn. So it could be the element? My argument was that maybe the isolater (black box) although it seemed it had a redundant 5th cable going no where, it was actually responsible to switch over to night Tariff and draw the load at night. Still it wouldn't make sense though.... Just being desparate and wondering why moving from old meter to smart meter, screwed up my immersion heater.

If changing to a smart meter stopped the hot water from heating you need to get them back.

Latest posts