eicr advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a bit of advice to see what you guys think.

i rarely get asked to do any of this work but a mate of mine is renting his house out and has asked me for an eicr for the letting agency. i initially tried to pass it on to a bloke i work for sometimes, but he is too busy and offered for a small fee to sign a cert if i do the work. do not really want to go down that route so i figure these are my options.

1 as above do the work he signs it off, i work for less but have no schem fees to pay

2 check my insurance and do the work sign it off myself using green certs. concerns with this option are, i dont have 2391

3 compleat 2391 or nic eic domestic eicr virtual course and extend my DI scope, cons with this option

you dont need 2391 etc to do PIR's. you only need to be competent. and you dont need to pay a scam provider either (unles you want to use their certs. just use your own or those from 7671)

thanks guys.

i was thinking about the 2391 after reading threads on her about proving that your competent should there be any seriouse problems after you have just signed off the instilation is safe.

do you think the letting agency would have an issue with using non scam certs?

i do lack experiance in this area but think i would be alright with doing an domestic steps, i also have the guy i work for sometime to fall back on if i needed

tom1 ,

the biggest issue I meet on PIRs is previous editions,

I have recently been to 5 private landlord properties where they have been failed due to code 1s,

every one of those has been at best a code 4, [i know EICR codes have changed, this was prior] ,

IMHO, unless you are fairly conversant with what was permitted to 16th(at least) then doing PIRs is going to be very difficult for you,

and before anyone gets on their high horse, its still a PIR, its only the name of the cert that has changed.

i see what you mean i remember you posting about this recently, i will get some guidance from the guy i worked for http://www.select.org.uk/downloads/BestPracticeGuide4-Issue3.pdf this is worth a read.
The bottom line is you can do it if you feel competent and your results are written on a form in the style of the model EICR forms in BS7671. Guidance note 3 is a vital book if you are doing inspections, but I don't think the amended one is out yet? Possibly your own doubts on this question suggest you may not be quite ready yet Tom? Is there anyone who you could team up with and do it as a joint inspection so you can get some valuable hands on practical experience.

Doc H.

i think i would be alright doc, there is some one who can give me a hand if need be, need to make sure have right insurance. streetlighter has posted some downloadable certs and will prob get mate of mine to transfer onto his certs and sign it off

At some point in time everyone has to do their first job alone without help....

Only you know if you are confident and competent have appropriate tools books etc...

Spose worst case if you find something on site that is out of your depth,

you will have to apologies to your customer and walk away losing half a day unpaid!?

:C

tom1 , the biggest issue I meet on PIRs is previous editions,

I have recently been to 5 private landlord properties where they have been failed due to code 1s,

every one of those has been at best a code 4, [i know EICR codes have changed, this was prior] ,

IMHO, unless you are fairly conversant with what was permitted to 16th(at least) then doing PIRs is going to be very difficult for you,

and before anyone gets on their high horse, its still a PIR, its only the name of the cert that has changed.
Hang on before you dismiss it out of hand, there are many changes from PIR to EICR, not least of all a fairly comprehensive checklist, some new items to check and new responsibilities, maybe it is time to revist the EIT website for the info?

Certainly Bristol City Council will not accept a non-scam registered sparky issuing EICR's and they insist on PL ins., we should accept the road to full regulation will take time, however it is squarely on the agenda and it hopefully will not be long before all sparkies will have to be registered vis-a-vis Gas Safe

Steve, my point was its still a periodic inspection, reported on an EICR form.
Quite so....

page 195 Big Green Book...

Top O' the page

CHAPTER 62

PERIODIC INSPECTION AND TESTING!

Reg 621.5

Periodic inspection and testing shall be undertaken by a competent person.
Reg 631.5

upon completion of the periodic inspection and testing of an installation and Electrical Installation Condition Report is provided....

etc...

etc.....

We are not doing electrical condition reporting ..

Its still Periodic Inspection And Testing that we actually do

This is going to be one of the PA testing..

Or PAT testing..

AKA "Portable appliance testing testing"

phrases me thinks!!!!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:06 ----------

and it hopefully will not be long before all sparkies will have to be registered vis-a-vis Gas Safe
As discussed previously in the bowels of the forum..

Very unlikely due to the DIY market and the forces of commerce with the big DIY chains etc...

:( :C

Hang on before you dismiss it out of hand, there are many changes from PIR to EICR, not least of all a fairly comprehensive checklist, some new items to check and new responsibilities, maybe it is time to revist the EIT website for the info?Certainly Bristol City Council will not accept a non-scam registered sparky issuing EICR's and they insist on PL ins., we should accept the road to full regulation will take time, however it is squarely on the agenda and it hopefully will not be long before all sparkies will have to be registered vis-a-vis Gas Safe
Im not sure I follow,

I done one last Thursday, and to be perfectly honest there was nothing different I checked, just some extra boxes to tick, and still a load of stuff I check that there is still NO boxes for,

lack of smoke alarms(or funtion of any fitted) is one thing I always inspect/check, but NO box!

carrying out PIRs is not simply using a tick-list and stopping there, your responsibilities [iMHO] go much further.

Got 2 to do tomorrow on a couple of appartments:O

They'll be my first EICRs and I'm doing them on the IET model forms; having looked through the forms they are very much as Steps has said,,, more boxes to say you've checked what you'd have done anyhow, I think the new forms just make it easier for joe public to understand.

The only thing of real note is that there isn't a code 4 for things that complied with earlier versions.

^ my thoughts too Noz, that was my first,

NO RCD,? on lighting circuits.

under my circumstances I decided it warranted a C3.

what else do you do? I do find that a big omission, so it now means everything that doesnt comply with BS7671/2011 requires improvement, maybe not a bad thing,

I had a load of C3 all due to no RCD.

the new forms are IMO just to make it easier for Joe Public to look and see if its been ticked OK or crossed BAD,

Latest posts