EICR Testing can it damage white appliances if not unplugged like built-in Fridge Freeze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion any person who is competent at undertaking periodic inspection & testing, as per the recommendations of BS7671 and guidance note 3, will be well aware of checking for any equipment that is vulnerable to testing.  And will know how to do checks with appropriate meter(s) on continuity range and/or insulation resistance on 250v range and/or doing testing with reference to Earth with both 'L' & 'N' joined together. So as to either identify any loads still connected, or only carry out testing methods that will not cause any potentially hazardous voltages to any loads that are impractical to disconnect.

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
 And will know how to do checks with appropriate meter(s) on continuity range and/or insulation resistance on 250v range and/or doing testing with reference to Earth with both 'L' & 'N' joined together.

Doc H.  

I rarely do anything else these days, what with USB sockets everywhere and drivers for LED lighting the days of belting everything with 500V are long gone 

I never drop to 250v unless filtered equipment is chucking it to earth. There is absolutely no reason why an IR test to earth with the line and neutral connected together will damage anything. 

I never drop to 250v unless filtered equipment is chucking it to earth. There is absolutely no reason why an IR test to earth with the line and neutral connected together will damage anything. 
I think you're going to find yourself in a minority but I'm not sure I can quote a reg number on this . . 

New cable installation testing,  500v because 'why not'

EICR festooned with Chinese LED's, PIR's, Smokes, Chargers,  adapter strips with MOV suppression etc etc all 'shouldn't fail' - yet many don't need much if any encouragement

I think you're going to find yourself in a minority but I'm not sure I can quote a reg number on this . . 

New cable installation testing,  500v because 'why not'

EICR festooned with Chinese LED's, PIR's, Smokes, Chargers,  adapter strips with MOV suppression etc etc all 'shouldn't fail' - yet many don't need much if any encouragement
I can't confirm whether I am in a minority or not but correct methods of testing should cause no damage.

I can't confirm whether I am in a minority or not but correct methods of testing should cause no damage.

I used to use 500V and managed to kill nothing, but, there's so much more sensitive equipment in houses these days, and even appliances like washing machines and fridges all have circuit boards, so I changed to 250V a few years ago, unless I know the cct is clear of such devices, whilst testing domestic properties. 500v LN-E should be fine, but so much is cheap Chinese stuff that I wouldn't want to risk it anymore. I think 250V is now considered acceptable anyway, but can't think where I read that. 

Regulation 643.3 mentions the use of 250v where SPDs are involved and where equipment may be damaged. Maybe it is the way of things and poor quality manufacturing because 500v should do no harm.

Regulation 643.3 mentions the use of 250v where SPDs are involved and where equipment may be damaged. Maybe it is the way of things and poor quality manufacturing because 500v should do no harm.
 just have a look at the voltage ratings of many things on Amazon, not helped when people buy stuff from abroad either.