EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
I had a read of an EICR report on friday from an niceic approved contractor who had failed an installation and left a quotation for remedial work. As i knew the plumber who's house it was, he asked could i give a quotation, as the quote was rather high. It stated that the fusebox was unsafe, 1362 fuses, undersized tails, main protective bonding was undersized, earth rod & earthing conductor needs replacing, smoke alarms not wired to the mains, fan in the bathroom has no isolation. Insulation resistance LN-E = 0.75Mohms so possible rewire pending further investigation.

I opened board 4 circuits, fully labelled, old but no defects, Ze 3ohms, solid connection to rod with bs951 label attached, 10mm earthing conductor, IR LN-E= 0.75Mohms so i got the plumber to unplug everything IR = 17.9Mohms, upfront rcd, tested fine, main protective bonding to services, all with 951 labels 10mm continuity checked. Property had two smokes battery operated, I said i would mention lack of smokes to the householder if none were present, but would not code it, however the bathroom fan did not have an isolator. But so what! all accessories were in excellent condition. I was shocked the quote was

When the plumber said he was a friend of his, who does lots of work for him i was shocked. The worst of it was on the quotation he was fitting 16mm tails, the board already had 16mm tails and there was only 4 circuits. I have had a few quite a few customer ringing me for a quote for rewiring, and have found they have had electricians in saying it has to rewired with ir readings in excess of 70Mohm.

I see this all the time

Guy either doesn't know what he Is doing or simply needs the money

I had a call from an old friend who now has around 100 houses and he has had a new spark tell him most of the houses need new rcd boards fitted because the cables( existing/original) are not 50mm below surface or rcd protected as per 17th regs :confused:

, smoke alarms not wired to the mains,
Therefore they cannot possibly have any detrimental effect upon the condition of the electrical installation. This is an 'EICR' Electrical Installation Condition Report, not a battery appliance report. This person is incompetent on several counts, or just scaremongering trying to deliberately drum up non-essential work. He should have a complaint made to the NICEIC, especially if he is issuing this on their logo'ed reports.

Doc H

I see this all the timeGuy either doesn't know what he Is doing or simply needs the money

I had a call from an old friend who now has around 100 houses and he has had a new spark tell him most of the houses need new rcd boards fitted because the cables( existing/original) are not 50mm below surface or rcd protected as per 17th regs :confused:
It seems like that sparky thinks wiring regs are retrospective and everything has to be brought up to present standards.

However, providing he can get it at a fair price, a new RCD CU has got to be a good investment for a rental property in the long term, particularly if there are no RCD's at all in the property.

But it's only an advisory thing, not mandatory.

a new RCD CU has got to be a good investment for a rental property in the long term, particularly if there are no RCD's at all in the property.

I totally agree prodave and always recommend 17th cu mains smokes and regular full tests if anybody enquires about letting a property and always make the customer aware that although it doesn't necessarily absolve them of blame it shows they have done everything in their power to protect tenants should an accident happen

This landlord is thinking @50 houses all needing

Now they are looking at the possibility of changing part p, the reason? To reduce financial burden. I think that they need to be weeding out these useless incompetent turds. I really do despair of this industry.

This house needs cleaning.

CLEAN THE HOUSE!!!!!

Now they are looking at the possibility of changing part p, the reason? To reduce financial burden. I think that they need to be weeding out these useless incompetent turds. I really do despair of this industry.This house needs cleaning.

CLEAN THE HOUSE!!!!!
You don't say much but when you do............................

I agree with your point. Trying to explain to a landlord the the regs are not retro respective is very hard. They always think you are trying to rip them off.

I take your point with the eicr, the contractor may not do much domestic testing.

I have seen a report that have had a c1 for circuits with bs3036 fuses when I contacted the contractor to ask why he used a c1 he gave me a load of waffle then hung up. Did a retest the installation was in fine shape and I landed a load of work in the clients other properties.

I looked at one the other day.....comments said that due to the lighting circuit not having a cpc, they recommend a rewire for those circuits. But looking at the test sheets, oddly both of the lighting circuits showed that they had cpcs of 1.0mm plus Zs readings:C

I see this all the timeGuy either doesn't know what he Is doing or simply needs the money

It seems like that sparky thinks wiring regs are retrospective and everything has to be brought up to present standards.

However, providing he can get it at a fair price, a new RCD CU has got to be a good investment for a rental property in the long term, particularly if there are no RCD's at all in the property.

But it's only an advisory thing, not mandatory.
Rcd is required for socket outlets that could possibly supply equipment used outside and has been in the regs since approx 1986. This would warrant a C2 deviation if no rcd present therefore failing an eicr.

Rcd is required for socket outlets that could possibly supply equipment used outside and has been in the regs since approx 1986. This would warrant a C2 deviation if no rcd present therefore failing an eicr.
t'was if memory serves correct only required from 15th onwards, so if your original install was done to a previous edition then a C3 at most,

remember, a lot of 15th installs had an RCD socket, so no RCD requirement, not an 'unsatisfactory' in my mind, it would depend on a lot more circumstances though.

no RCD would in general only warrant a C3,

As Steps says, probably would include the ESC leaflet on RCDs in the report for the customers reading pleasure

14th 15th 16th 17th doesnot really matter. Make your opinion on todays regs. RCD protection is generally only additional protection on sockets for eg, so if non existent, it can be regarded the same, in that the install could be improved if it was put in one year ago, or 10 years ago.