Elcb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm about the do a board change and have come across an elcb the voltage type. Is it ok to remove this and put a henly block in it's place as the new board will have 2 rcds.

Thanks

HiI'm about the do a board change and have come across an elcb the voltage type. Is it ok to remove this and put a henly block in it's place as the new board will have 2 rcds.

Thanks
If you want to leave it in as an Isolator just remove the earths and it can not trip.

If you want to leave it in as an Isolator just remove the earths and it can not trip.
Where do the earths go to. There's two of them? Thanks for the isolator idea. Think I'll do just that. Saves abit of time. Cheers

that sounds fine just make sure the earthing and tails are 16m and 25mm respectively
Or more accurate advice would be to co-ordinate the sizes of the Tails and the Main Earthing conductor to the size of the Main fuse...theType of Earthing system and the maximum demand of the installation .

Or more accurate advice would be to co-ordinate the sizes of the Tails and the Main Earthing conductor to the size of the Main fuse...theType of Earthing system and the maximum demand of the installation .
There's a 6mm earth going to the rod. How do I test if this is adequate or needs upgrading. It's a tt btw fed overhead from pole next door to bungalow? Thanks

which ever c/u i change wether a 60 80 or 100 amp fuse i always put 25mm tails and 16mm earth 10mm bonding full stop.

There's a 6mm earth going to the rod. How do I test if this is adequate or needs upgrading. It's a tt btw fed overhead from pole next door to bungalow? Thanks
have a look at osg pg 29 mate

you MUST REMOVE it,

it is ILLEGAL

was ILLEGAL in the 16th, never mind the 15th

so why anyone could say it was fine to leave it now is beyond me

if you DO NOT REMOVE THIS THEN YOU MUST ISSUE THE HOUSEHOLDER A DISCONNECTION NOTICE THAT THE INSTALLATION IS UNSAFE

THIS IS A STATUTORY REQUIREMENT ON LEAVING AN ILLEGAL INSTALLATION

you MUST REMOVE it,it is ILLEGAL

if you DO NOT REMOVE THIS THEN YOU MUST ISSUE THE HOUSEHOLDER A DISCONNECTION NOTICE THAT THE INSTALLATION IS UNSAFE

Agreed with Steptoe here why would you want to leave it its just something else that can go wrong and for something thats been around for 40 odd years its past its sell by date.

15th, 16th or 17th NEVER A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.

My suggestion to leave it as an isolator but with THE EARTH and FRAME connections disconnected from it, was on the understanding that the Earthing and Bonding requirements would meet CURRENT standard, which if the OP was installing a NEW Consumer Unit would of course be required.

The Volt operated ELCB then becomes just an Isolator and will not give any problem as it CANNOT OPERATE WITHOUT A Voltage between the E and F connections.

The only other thing to take into consideration is the Load it will be required to take and the protective device installed.

its not 'illegal', as the regulations are not law. please note your own signature.

and then onto the next thing: its not used for the simple fact its unreliable and not guaranteed to trip when required. but the install is not relying on this, it can simply be left there as an isolator. id still remove it myself, but cant see any issues leaving it.

Im fairly sure if you actually investigate this you will find that to leave a voltage trip in this installation that is still energised you are breaking the law.

if you leave this fitted, whether functioning or not and it is still energised you have left a potentially lethal installation,

this is AFAIAA illegal.

If left in as an ELCB then it would not be compliant but in Post 1 the OP has said that he will be installing a duel RCD Consumer Unit which will be providing current standard Earth Leakage Protection.

As a matter of interest the ESC suggests that a FUNCTIONAL Voltage Operated ELCB (i.e. operates on pressing the test button) found on a PIR should only be given a code 4.

I am in agreement with Sparkytims suggestions...he never advised leaving it in a functional mode as far as earth leakage detection is concerned, he was just suggesting it could be used as a Main isolator for the installation [ handy for removing power during the C.u change etc. ]He is also correct concerning the advice in the ESC guide...it should be added that the advice is given with the proviso that the water pipe is not being used as the Main earth electrode....if this was the case it would be a Code 2.unsatisfactory-

Sorry steptoe mate ! -although i do agree with you in the respect of the fact that they are unreliable ...hence their removal from recommended installation practice

a1spark

Peeps,

Steps may well be correct, depending on the installation and the statutory legislation it has to comply to and the exact wording in the legislation.

Please remember building regs compliance makes BS7671 statutory.

EARW89 is statutory, PUWER98 is statutory, MHSWR is statutory.

On a TT system shouldn't the whole instalation be rcd protected including the tails ?