ELECSA assesment isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've got my ELECSA assesment next week on a C/U change. The unit I fitted doesn't have covers over the incoming tails, so when I switch off the 2 screws heads in the switch and the cable entries are live still, will my ELECSA man get excited about this or will he accept it as I don't think he will want me pulling the main fuse, what does everone reccomend??

could you not fit an external isolator, same one as used by your local DNO?

IIRC, for my assessment job, i had pulled the fuse, broke meter seal and replaced tails to meter. he wasnt at all bothered about it. dont think he even mentioned anything about it. he was more interested in where i had sunk the rod!

2nd assessment had a 'DNO isolator' fitted (fitted by me)

Do you know who your assessor is?

Thanks for the reply, can't remember the guys name now but doubt it will be same one as you had as by your locations you are at the other end of the country to me.

I don't need to cut the seals on main fuse as they aren't there! I'm just getting a bit well actually a lot nervous about it now and don't want to do anything silly that he is going to get excited about. I have no problem working with the tails there but don't want him failing me on it.

Thanks for the reply, can't remember the guys name now but doubt it will be same one as you had as by your locations you are at the other end of the country to me. I don't need to cut the seals on main fuse as they aren't there! I'm just getting a bit well actually a lot nervous about it now and don't want to do anything silly that he is going to get excited about. I have no problem working with the tails there but don't want him failing me on it.
most assessors are more interested in that your job is done correctly/safely....

As we all know, many meter/cutout seals 'go missing'

If your that worried, get the DNO to come fit a isolator, or to seal up after you have done.

Hello Guys,I've got my ELECSA assesment next week on a C/U change. The unit I fitted doesn't have covers over the incoming tails, so when I switch off the 2 screws heads in the switch and the cable entries are live still, will my ELECSA man get excited about this or will he accept it as I don't think he will want me pulling the main fuse, what does everone reccomend??
Do you mean the screw heads (which technically are live) don't have covers..

but are actually recessed so that you can't get you finger in to touch them?

Thats NO problem! so long as we are talking of a standard incoming switch to the relevant BS, e.g. 60974

You would only get a shock if you chose to go poking it with a tool! :)

If the manufacture fitted shields.. put them in place.. otherwise no need to bother. ;)

Hi Special,

Yeah thats it, the recessed screws, just didn't know how "idiot proof" I needed to be thats all!! Not worried about afterwards as its my house not customers just for the assesment.

Hi Special,Yeah thats it, the recessed screws, just didn't know how "idiot proof" I needed to be thats all!! Not worried about afterwards as its my house not customers just for the assesment.
2 little squares of appropriately coloured insulating tape? ;)

2 little squares of appropriately coloured insulating tape? ;)
Will fall off after a very short while..

The main things to remember during your assesment are:

Safe isolation procedures (verifying isolation - I test across the isolator to prove dead & meter is still operating) - every time you operate the main switch and remove the cover test for dead!!

Ensure that you do not walk away from anything that could be live without first replacing the cover