ELECSA Assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmacd

Reaction score
Just had mine (didn't want to tell you all first incase I didn't pass).

Well as I am telling you know, you can guess that I did pass. Had 2 observations.

1) Had to downgrade a fuse on a distribution circuit (as it was 30A protecting a 2.5mm cable), so now one of the mcb's in the remote board was much higher (20A & 32A) so didn't allow for discrimination. I had already sourced the CCU with the 32A in so left it as I am planning on replacing distribution with 4 or 6mm in the future.

2) I admitted to him I hadn't removed the bonds (or turned off the power) when I did the Ze test (should have kept quiet) so he got me to do it now.

Other than that he seemed happy. Apparently ELECSA have lots of people in Worthing.

Ian.

why did you have a 2.5 on 32A anyway?

and did you really expect him to let you off with not testing something as basic as Ze?

other than that, well done

why did you have a 2.5 on 32A anyway?
I didn't. It was pre-existing with a 30A re-wirable.

and did you really expect him to let you off with not testing something as basic as Ze?
I actually did Zdb as I couldn't turn it off at the time but he only found out as I admitted that I hadn't removed the bonding when I did it. He was happy with that but wanted to check I could do Ze

other than that, well done
Thanks.

1) Had to downgrade a fuse on a distribution circuit (as it was 30A protecting a 2.5mm cable), so now one of the mcb's in the remote board was much higher (20A & 32A) so didn't allow for discrimination. I had already sourced the CCU with the 32A in so left it as I am planning on replacing distribution with 4 or 6mm in the future.
OK that maybe misleading. I had already downgraded from 30A to 20A when I did the work but had already bought the 32A/6A garage CCU and it was Easter weekend so no chance of getting another so fitted anyway safe in the knowledge that the 20A would fail and protect the cable before the 32A went but with the plan to upgrade the distribution circuit at some point in the future.

I didn't. It was pre-existing with a 30A re-wirable. just because thats how it was doesnt mean its safe... but having said that, you can quite easily and to the regs, have a 2.5 on a 32A MCB feeding one socket outlet....

I actually did Zdb as I couldn't turn it off at the time but he only found out as I admitted that I hadn't removed the bonding when I did it. He was happy with that but wanted to check I could do Ze

Why could you not turn it off? surely it was off when you done your work, so wouldnt take that much longer to disconnect main earth from MET and test it?

Thanks.
my red

The 30A (now 20A) fuse was at the house end protecting the SWA to the garage. The Garage CCU had a 32A mcb in it (protecting a ring final in the garage + RCD).

There are currently 3 CCU's in the house and the one I was working on was off when I had it open but one of the others couldn't be switched off at that point (hence the Zdb).

Congratulations ianmacd, well done, I assume that means not only can you self certify your work, you are also allowed a drink tonight?

Doc H.

Congratulations ianmacd, well done, I assume that means not only can you self certify your work, you are also allowed a drink tonight?Doc H.
Yes to both ;) Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Well done and welcome to the world of Poor sparks with greetings to the recession. :Y :coat

Glad you went Elecsa the more members they get, the less people will think that the niceic are the only body out there.B-)B-)B-)

well done Ian, I chose Elecsa as well, the other mobs were less human.

regards Iain

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Congrats.Out of interest, what made you choose ELECSA? I haven't decided which one to go with yet.

Fitz
ELECSA just seemed more "switched on" to the installers and not so bureaucratic. NICEIC just seemed to be about the money and ELECSA are effectively the 2nd biggest now. They were cheaper too ;)