Electrical course leading to C&G 2392

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butler26

Reaction score
hi there i recently decided that i want to make a carear change and become a sparky . ive looked into going to collage but this will take to long .ive looked into doing a private course. ive had a look at a few of these courses and there not cheap .anyway i cantacted new carear skill and this what they are offering could some one tell me what they think and are qualification any good

Hello And Welcome to the forum.

I too - thought the same as you.

BUT - I have decided to do it the long way and even then, I can't learn everything. Heck - there are sparks on here, that will tell you straight - They have been doing it 25 - 35 years+ and they are still learning.

I would recommend you doing the City and (&) Guilds 2330 levels 2 & 3. I would recommend doing the 2382-100 too. :D

As the saying goes: "Rome wasn't built in a day". :)

Sounds inviting with it's 5 square foot training centre. :D

Do it the 'proper' way! Learn gradually.

It's not a good time for any trades at the moment, if you keep your own job and train gradually the economy may be in a better state in 2 or 3 years.

:)

Good luck anyways.

I recently applied for (and got) partial funding from the local authority for training. I've gone for a course that is similar to what Butler described. Did quite a bit of research and weighed up the different options. Having been an enthusiastic electrical DIYer for 25 years as well as having a passion for electrics I consider myself to have a fair amount of knowledge and experience so I wouldn't be starting from scratch.

The course i'm about to start has 4 modules, each with approx 80 hours home study (with phone/online access to tutors). In addition there are 4 separate weeks practical training at the company's purpose-built training centre.

I was a little wary of taking on a course such as this but I spoke at length with one of the training advisors and decided it was a good option for this stage in my life. I need an electrical qualification for part of my current job where I build exhibition stands at trade shows worldwide. The UK especially is becoming increasingly tight on anyone performing electrical work at these shows. I don't doubt my ability to safely install equipment but I don't have anything to prove it.

From a personal point of view it has always been a personal ambition to become a qualified electrician and the qualifications will allow us, as a company, to branch out into a new area. At the moment we are a design agency (family company) but it's not my first love but it pays the bills. Part of my work involves building stands at trade shows around the world. This involves electrical work and, because of this, my company is funding the remainder of the course with the view to me setting up an offshoot as a domestic installer and hence growing our business. This suits me in a couple of ways as it allows me to follow my passion of electrical work and also gets me away from a fairly mundane office based job which really doesn't float my boat, so to speak.

This is, of course, well into the future but I am doggedly determined to throw myself one hundred and ten percent into this course. By following the threads on this forum i've realised how much knowledge I already have but also how much I have to learn. I've already learned an incredible amount from you folks on here and it's inspiring me more and more to crack on with this.

Regardless of the fact that we're suffering a downturn in the economy there's no doubt that good sparky's are always going to be needed.

hi there i recently decided that i want to make a carear change and become a sparky . ive looked into going to collage but this will take to long .ive looked into doing a private course. ive had a look at a few of these courses and there not cheap .anyway i cantacted new carear skill and this what they are offering could some one tell me what they think and are qualification any good

I've been looking at doing a similar course with a company called access2tradecareers who have their training centre near Kidderminster. Any one heard anything about them as I can't find much on the net. Their website looks pretty good and their salesman convincing but it's a lot of money to give someone you don't know much about

I've been looking at doing a similar course with a company called access2tradecareers who have their training centre near Kidderminster. Any one heard anything about them as I can't find much on the net. Their website looks pretty good and their salesman convincing but it's a lot of money to give someone you don't know much about
I looked at them, but decided to go with Access Training Wales in Cardiff.

regards

Bob

As Patch said if you have a job stick with it, and start with the 2330 route, longer but more inline with the long standing Sparkies on here

If you're out on your ear, then as said look at the quals that the Part P providers list, which typically are Part P, C&G2382 (17th), 2392 (Lv2 Inspect&Test) for Limited Scope (Domestic Installer) + 2391 (Lv3 PIR) for full scope, however with these alone it would be inappropriate to call yourself an Electrician, you would need 2330 as well at least

Right now the economy is booming for re-training ; \, like any service it's often it's good Applaud Smiley, sometimes not so good :| , and in many cases downright dubious :_|X( X( , if your lucky you'll find someone you trust who has been that route and can give you the benefit of hindsight

As to the course, you can spend

As several people have advised, you are far better taking the long route with the 2330 to gain full understanding of electrical installations. These training companies offer courses that will qualify you in the 17th edition and basic inspection and testing, but you will have the minimum understanding of electrical installations. Arguably you will know no more than a kitchen/bathroom fitter who will not be doing electrical work as the main part of their job. You will be able to register as a Domestic Installer with NICEIC e.t.c but will your knowledge be extensive enough to run your own company doing this? This is not a trade you can learn in 5 minutes and given the current financial climate, if you do the 2330 there will be plenty of work for you by the time you finish the course, which was said earlier. The certificates are important but more important is knowledge of how to do the job, which I don't feel you will get in an expensive short course.

Latest posts