Electrical Installation Condition Report - Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Andy. I would ask where the potential danger exists and the regulation that confirms this.

AH  !  Its a bit pedantic  but the supply cable to the garage is 2.5  .  That size has a best rating of 27A  .  Personally talking its no great shakes but if you called in an NICEIC engineer  he would have to say the same ...the 30A MCB  is VERY slightly TOO big for the cable .  Picking flies the cable should have been 4.00mm  or the MCB should be 20A  .   Its a storm in a teacup to be honest . 

If it was my house I wouldn't worry about it all .

Sorry    MCB  means  a Minature Circuit Breaker .....those switch things in your fuseboard   ...they prevent the circuits from being overloaded. 

Edit:-    Has the certificate been marked as "Satisfactory "   or what ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
We are forgetting that the cables are not 2.5mm, they are imperial. The tester has given the nearest metric size. So it could be that the cables installed are capable of carrying over 30amps in which case the certificate is wrong.

Personally I'd spend half of that on a decent sparks doing a decent report and perhaps the other half on towards the remedially then I'd ask the Nic to refund the original cost of the report as its a load of tosh. 

Just................venting! 

We are forgetting that the cables are not 2.5mm, they are imperial. The tester has given the nearest metric size. So it could be that the cables installed are capable of carrying over 30amps in which case the certificate is wrong.
Maneater  ,  although red / black they could still be metric ...we just don't know .  If the garage supply  is  7/.029   that was only around 21 amps , I THINK , it was a long time ago .   But yes  as you say , if its a (What came next  ?  7/.044  now that was 30 A  I think .  

£600  .  Well we can't comment on that really without seeing the job ....personally ...based on what we can see on that cert... you just need  main bonding installed .    

That means a 10mm  Green/Yell  earth cable from your board  to the gas meter  and another to where the water supply enters the building . 

Does that look very dificult to you  Claire ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you do not have £600 of remedials needed

You cannot say that.  The bonding could be a right mission and the client may want it all hidden.

The certificate is void, as it is wrong, for instance you have stated that there is gas and water bonding, you have stated that there is no immersion heater.

The codes refer to protection via 32amp breakers and yet your board does not contain any??

I am a NICEIC qualified supervisor and my certificates are nothing like this one, I do not have a vehicle section? My scope of works under the NICEIC are Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Maintenance and EICR reporting. If I was registered to do vehicles I suppose my certificates would have this section included.

I would C2 it only in exceptional circumstances such as disabled or elderly owners that could be putting themselves at risk with a complete power failure.  Very very exceptional but not off the cards.

The million dollar question is how much did the report cost.  What won the job?  Was it cost or competence?  If it was anything from £50 - £100 you got the report you paid for.

That's not really very fair.  So what you're saying is I paid less for lies when should have paid far more for truth????? I wanted advice not criticism when I haven't actually done anything other than listen to recommendations which is usually a good way to go.  £100 to me is not cheap.

That's not really very fair.  So what you're saying is I paid less for lies when should have paid far more for truth????? I wanted advice not criticism when I haven't actually done anything other than listen to recommendations which is usually a good way to go.  £100 to me is not cheap.
£100 may not be cheap to you, but you get what you pay for.  it would also take longer than an hour to do a proper EICR, and you would get a more honest report. see it all the time, cheap report but hundreds worth of remedials that dont need done. some do, like the earthing in your case and the garage would most liklely need something done, but thats it

£100 is cheap for what you have asked. Did you get any other quotes?  Always a good idea to get a few. 

I would guess at a at a more realistic price being around the 150 mark and about 3 hours work.