Electrical Installation Condition Report - Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClairePO12

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have just had back our report and it has three C2 codes on there that I'd like some advice on.  

The first is that there is no obvious earthing of other services - we have found this ourselves so it's there.

Second is no cross bonding, yes am blonde so what is required here?

Thirdly the red main switch is on 60 amp rated - can anyone tell me therefore what is required now or is this a recommendation more than a fault?

Thank you!

Without seeing the actual report it would be hard to comment, having said that it looks like the electrician is not competent to carry out such a report. Could you scan the report and post it here removing your address for security reasons.

Hi All,

We have just had back our report and it has three C2 codes on there that I'd like some advice on.  

The first is that there is no obvious earthing of other services - we have found this ourselves so it's there.

Just needs verifying that this it is actually connected at the 'fuse board' 

Second is no cross bonding, yes am blonde so what is required here?

May not be required, without seeing the installation I couldn't comment.

Thirdly the red main switch is on 60 amp rated - can anyone tell me therefore what is required now or is this a recommendation more than a fault?

Dependent on the fuse from the energy supplier, this may need up-rating. 

Thank you!

My comments in red, as Manator states, sounds like the person doing the testing isn't very competent. Would be ideal to have a look at the report. 

Claire you may need the aid of admin to allow you to upload, I think there's a min post count of 10 before permission is granted for upload, this is to help combat spam. 

But of one of the admins drop by I'm sure they'll assist in the matter. Be patient. 

Just to concur with what the others chaps have said, it very much points towards an inexperienced person doing your test. 

1: what are the 'other services'? generally gas & water is to be done which i would expect it to say gas / water on the observation, not other services, which would then be specified
2: may not be required, but it is dependent on earth to gas & water being done
3: not the best way to wire it, but if its just to immersion heater then it will comply with section 433 (might be 434, cant remember) and so not worthy of any code
4: BS7671 does not cover requirements for smoke alarms (thats in BS5839), so should not be coded at all. the wiring is covered by BS7671, but since they are battery, there wont be anything there to be non-compliant
5: unless there is overload protection at garage, then no issues, other than i might have gone with C2
6: if the max demand of installation is 60a or less then no issue

cant read most of whats on the forms, but it does look like you have someone incompetent thats done it

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

Electrican told me it was gas and water

There is no immersion heater so point 3 is null and void.

How do you work out the max demand?

1. It should refer to bonding not earthing. If this is missing it should be a C2. Unless testing has proved bonding is there but it cannot be accessed then C3. 

2. All circuits are RCD protected so this is not required. 

3. A 2.5 radial should have no larger than a 20A fuse protecting it. As it is a 32A this should be a C2. 

4. No code. 

5. As point 3 above. 

6. The main head has a 100A fuse installed so you would want to see at least a 100A main switch installed on the CU - C3. 

It also appears a front end RCD has been installed that means in the event of a fault the whole installation will trip. This is not ideal and he has not picked this up. I would code this depending on the property but would be a C2/C3. 

But you can ask 10 electricians these questions and get 10 different answers. 

1. It should refer to bonding not earthing. If this is missing it should be a C2. Unless testing has proved bonding is there but it cannot be accessed then C3. 

We can only make this assumption, we have no idea how the gas and water is presented. Both could be supplied via plastic pipes.

Again without doing the testing this can only be assumed, even with RCD protection certain conditions have to apply.

3. A 2.5 radial should have no larger than a 20A fuse protecting it. As it is a 32A this should be a C2. 

You are both right and wrong, Clipped direct 2.5mm twin and earth can carry 27amps, however designers can push limits to suit diversity and length of time the cable will be at full capacity. I would also hazard a guess the the cables are imperial and therefore not 2.5mm but larger. Common practice on a 30amp breaker in my day.

4. No code. 

Agreed, not part of BS7671

5. As point 3 above. 

As above, however we have also been informed that there is no immersion heater, so the whole certificate is invalid.

6. The main head has a 100A fuse installed so you would want to see at least a 100A main switch installed on the CU - C3. 

The picture of the cert is not very clear but it looks like 80amp to myself. Regardless this sentance makes little sense, for instance a 32amp ring circuit is protected at source by 32amp, the socket outlet (load) is protected by 13amp. Same principle.

It also appears a front end RCD has been installed that means in the event of a fault the whole installation will trip. This is not ideal and he has not picked this up. I would code this depending on the property but would be a C2/C3. 

This would never be a C2, there is no danger, just inconvenience.

Agreed.
The certificate is void, as it is wrong, for instance you have stated that there is gas and water bonding, you have stated that there is no immersion heater.

The codes refer to protection via 32amp breakers and yet your board does not contain any??

I am a NICEIC qualified supervisor and my certificates are nothing like this one, I do not have a vehicle section? My scope of works under the NICEIC are Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Maintenance and EICR reporting. If I was registered to do vehicles I suppose my certificates would have this section included.

Thank you for all the comments.

I am on the understanding that it is 60 amp main fuse.

Gas and water pipes are not plastic.

Electrician told me that electrics obviously tripped regularly, which they haven't in the three years we've been there, only on the very rare occasions that just about everything in the house is turned on at once (shower is not electric).

Just trying to sum it up , not easy at this distance .

This may be wrong but its what I'm assuming from looking at the rather strange certificate with details of some vehicle on it .   :C

And much as the others have said.

1.  It appears that there is no Main Bonding installed to Gas & water.     (Surprising as it appears to be a dual RCD board  abeit older MCBs . )

2.  Cross bond  .  Don't know to where he refers.

3. Immersion htr not there so forget that .

4.  Battery Smoke alarms nothing to do with the report.

5. The garage circuit may need the breaker changed to a 20Amp .

6.  The Red main switch would be OK  if the main fuse is also 60A 

So if you wish to improve the install , you probably need Main Bonding installed to the gas & water    and an MCB swapping in the board .  

Not usually the biggest job in the world. 

Last edited by a moderator:

But he/she (the tester) has stated no obvious connection so unless verification by measuring has been undertaken, just because the installation has an upfront rcd doesn't mean supplimentary bonding can be negated.......as also indicated by Manator

4. No code. 

5. As point 3 above. 

another thought, by cross bonding he may be referring to no earth cable across pipes on boiler... which we all know is not and never was required by another other than uneducated plumbers