Electrical Safety Advice And Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question but I need some advice on electrical safety and if possible the details of a company in the UK (closer to Nottingham the better) who can test an appliance for electric safety and to determine the cause of a fault. Everyone seems to be in the business of testing large domestic and commercial installations, not small appliances.

To cut a long story short, I was using an appliance the other day and it literally blew up, I mean, it was like a large firework going off for about 30 seconds, quite incredible and extremely dangerous. We had a full on electrical fire with what can only be described as lightning coming out of the back of the appliance, this was accompanied by an incredible arcing noise, like having an industrial welder on the kitchen worktop

I received a small shock from the machine prior to it going bang as I was using it at the time, the initial shock made me move away but if I hadn't I almost certainly would of been badly injured or worse because the whole thing is made completely from stainless steel which I was touching at the time

I have been in touch with the vendor and they suggested an independent inspection which I agreed to, they are now saying they can't find anyone to carry out the inspection but they will send it to a company who make a similar product so that they can test the appliance and determine the problem. That's great up to a point but the company the vendors propose test the appliance also supply the vendor with another similar machine so there's a conflict of interest.

I also have another of these machines that I use daily and this has made me very wary of using that when we don't know what the problem is.

They are also fairly costly machines at £850 each and it is probably only about 7 months old

I'd also like to add that neither the fuse in the plug or the fuse in the back of the machine blew during the incident

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply, I'll be happy to elaborate if anyone need more nfo on the product in question

Many thanks

Dean

Welcome to the forum. Your comments about electric shock from the metal case may indicate you have problems with the socket you had it plugged into. Assuming the juicer has a molded 13A plug on it that you have not replaced or altered, then the metal case of the appliance should be connected back to your electrical earth via the plug. (unless it is a double insulated Class II appliance, in which case there would be no path to allow you to get a shock). Electrical earthing and bonding is intended for this very purpose to prevent electric shock.  When did you last have your home wiring tested? Recommend intervals are every 10 years or change of occupancy.

The sample juicer on the link states 5year motor warranty, 3year parts warranty, but if it has blown up and burned out as you say in less than 12 months, getting someone else to have a look inside the device would normally invalidate any such warranty unless it is sent back to the manufacture. So I would not advise arranging anyone yourself to do anything with the item. Either get written confirmation from your supplier of a company authorised by them or send it back for them to do testing or replacement.

I am not aware of any product that you can just pick a random tester or repairer from the internet or phone book to evaluate or undertake any warranty repairs. What exactly is the ultimate solution you are looking for. A replacement item / A refund / A repair with ongoing warranty for remainder of the term / A repair with no further warranty.  If you think its faulty, I assume it no longer works and the description you have told us suggests it contravenes basic consumer rights laws about the suitability, reliability and functionality of products or services, then what is a third party, independent test or inspection going to do, say its not faulty? Unless there are some other issue you have not told us about it sounds as though you are looking for the wrong solution to the problem..

Doc H   

Last edited by a moderator: