electrical wholesaler vs screwfix and toolstation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use CPC loads. Not used the boards you refer to but have used quite a bit of other Pro-Elec stuff, does the job, nothing more nothing less.

For info.

CPC is a division of a MAJOR global player in the industrial supplies field.

Sorry it's brief, very busy at the mo hence lack of posts.

ATB

Paul

I was going to start a thread on this because of todays experience but thought I would add to this one instead.

I mostly use Electricfix, Toolstation and Newey if I need conduit, basket etc. Today, working in Selby, ran out of earth sleeving and the only place within distance is CEF. I call in and thought I may as well get tommorows gear I was going to get from electricfix. I was quoted:-

bundle of earth sleeving,

I have used Wylex / Crabtree for yrs but think after the Electrium recall debacle I will start to use Hager again. Having said that, I have about 500 Wylex / Crabtree MCB's all new and unused which I have collected!

I've used both the Wylex and MK boards and would consider the MK to be of considerably higher quality than the Wylex. I've reviewed the MK on Screwfix.

I've had lots of trouble with Crabtree RCDs and RCBOs so have stopped using them for fresh installs.

After the recall issues, I'm not prepared to go back to Electrium products. I also dislike that they are very coy about where their stuff is made.

I am a big fan of the new designed Hager boards and use them almost all the time now - my local Edmundsons stocks them. And they are assembled in Telford (I'm led to believe the moldings are made there too, but cannot confirm that). The devices are made in France and Germany. So far (about a dozen or so) I've had absolutely no problems. And I discovered from a recent thread that these are one of the few boards made of self extinguishing plastic, too.

My fave board is the MEM Memera 2000AD, but I don't like that you can't test their RCBOs by contacting on the screw head (MEM technical told me that's how they're designed!!) whereas you can with the Hagers. Made in the UK, but too expensive for most jobs.

Edit:

For those that might not know, Electrium = Volex, Wylex and Crabtree (also Steeple and Newlec 'own brands').