Electronics shop?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinxsize

Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering if you know where I can get an electronics elements like (Led's ,resistors) in London. Maplin is to expensive and not fully equipment.

Any suggest?

Thanks mate! that's really good website, but any shop located in london?
Have a walk down Tottenham court Road or Edgeware Road, either that or go up north to Watford Electronics.

RS have trade counters in East & West London.

RS, Farnell, CPC and Rapid Electronics are good for mail-order. They are noted in order of decreasing price!

Cricklewood Electronics is pretty good.

For real walk-in shops with real components, Edgeware Road area is better than TCR.

The best for a good and sensible range of general components at very keen prices is a Luton based company called JPR Electronics.

In general Maplin are a very poor shadow of what they once were, however, the Stratford branch has been pretty good. I expect that Maplin's commercial policy dictates their business, and sadly the hobbyist electronics business has declined over the past quarter century..... Young people seem uninterested in learning electronics at the component level.

Pyro.

RS have trade counters in East & West London.RS, Farnell, CPC and Rapid Electronics are good for mail-order. They are noted in order of decreasing price!

Cricklewood Electronics is pretty good.

For real walk-in shops with real components, Edgeware Road area is better than TCR.

The best for a good and sensible range of general components at very keen prices is a Luton based company called JPR Electronics.

In general Maplin are a very poor shadow of what they once were, however, the Stratford branch has been pretty good. I expect that Maplin's commercial policy dictates their business, and sadly the hobbyist electronics business has declined over the past quarter century..... Young people seem uninterested in learning electronics at the component level.

Pyro.
Excellent post there Pyro

Anyone remeber Tandy? When I was young I made a few basic things, little radio a 'burgler alarm' was great. I spent most of my time burning myself with the soldering iron!

:D

Excellent post there PyroAnyone remeber Tandy? When I was young I made a few basic things, little radio a 'burgler alarm' was great. I spent most of my time burning myself with the soldering iron!

:D
That is a good post by Pyro. I do hope the burning was accidental and not intentional Apache.

Doc.H.

i remember them. its now a carphone warehouse
Indeed they are.....

Tandy is dead. Long live Tandy • The Register

It would appear they were actually purchased by Carphone Warehouse and mostly converted to mobile phone shops!

I thought originally Tandy was the British arm of the American Radio Shack components company, spin off from the CB radio marketplace.

But it appears some American bloke

In my own defence it was holding the little components and solderig them that I burnt myself - not a fetish!

Tandy had rows and rows of compnents in tiny bags, was cheap (as I remember it). Many things were pennies. I used to go in and spend me pocket money!

The one in Scarborough is a Carp-phone-horehouse now

Them were the days...................

(I'm only 26!)

Thanks, Guys! Blushing

Electronics was always my first "love", with sparking not far behind.

A hot soldering iron + skin is a pretty bad experience, but a hot soldering iron + fingernails takes some beating on the smell and pain.

Another Edgeware Road shop that sprung to mind is Henry's..... don't get excited...... doing a www-check shows they still exist, but seem to be box-shifters..... not a single hint of a LED, capacitor or resistor. :(

Maybe I should set-up "Pyro's Parts" to supply real components to real people!?

Pyro.

Maybe I should set-up "Pyro's Parts" to supply real components to real people!?
Sounds like an opportunity there, Pyro. :D