Emergency Lighting-Maintained Or Non

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ1109

Reaction score
Hi I'm after a little advice on this .Is there a particular requirement that an emergency light has to be a maintained rather than non.

Reason being I did an ECIR last weekend and the 2 emergency lighting units werent working.Turns out the 8w lamps had gone,which I changed.

The guy said to me he didnt want them on all the time,he only wanted them to come on when the power went off.I removed the link but told him I wasn't sure if there was a certian reg relating to this.The building is a over 60's club.

Cheers

This is not part of BS7671.

There was no requirement under BS7671 to replace the lights or require that the client did this following and ECIR.

You need to refer to the RRFSO, the client FRA & the relevant BS for EM lighting to get the correct answer.

Situations like this have no easy and simple easy answer.

If you have modified the emergency lighting from that which was specified on the original BS5266 certificates, which you admit, you have, then you need to re-issue certificates under BS5266 & ensure that your work complies with all requirements under statute law, i.e the RRFSO, and that you have the relevant competence to ensure that your modifications comply with the relevant statute laws, and I hope that you have the insurance cover that is required for the design, & implementation of these modifications including that required for the Fire Risk Assessment which you need to re-do now that you have modified the emergency lighting required under this statute law.

Russ i think sidewinder is saying maybe easier to go back and return the lights to maintained. Unless you know better?

Just tell this guy unless he can put it in writing that he wants them as non-maintained then you need to change them back.

Im no expert on emergency lighting but know where alcohol is served or dimly lit places then fittings need to be maintained.

You probably felt you were just doing what the client requested at the time to keep him happy.

In addition to Sidewinders post  i dont believe any of the various regs will say in your situation the light must be on 24/7 as it is at present. I have found in many different applications, ie church halls, small shops or small offices if switched, the emg lights never are turned on. In these situations i have fitted movement sensors to switch the maintained circuit or wired to the switch line of the local light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just had a quick skim through BS5266-1.  From Russ1109 post,   '10.3.4 Non residential premises used for recreation'  has the only reference that if the lights can be dimmed or switched off then maintained lights have to be fitted, but  several mentions of Risk assessments also feature.  Other sections do mention if the power is switched off when not in use, ie to save energy, the charging circuit has to be kept live.

I know only a very limited amount here, but IMHO there are a few key factors that have to be taken into consideration....

buildings that are naturally dim during normal use -vs- well lit buildings ..  {e.g. cinemas & pubs -vs- supermarkets }

buildings open to the public -vs- building that are staff or limited personnel access..

As has been mentioned there is an element of the actual risk and how quickly people can react in an emergency...

e.g.  people should be able to identify exit routes before an emergency occours..

Staff in a well lit building can know this easier than a stranger in a dimly lit building!

i.e..   if an emergency exit sign and an arrow or a running man image cannot easily be seen in a building when the building is in normal use then maintained lights may be required! 

Latest posts