Eurovision.....am I missing something?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Austrailia enter the eurovision song contest does it matter where we are located relative to mainland Europe

The biggest issue with Eurovision is that the UK pretty much treats it with disdain every year across the board. It's just a show. Mainland Europe loves it and the live audiences have a great time there. When Sam Ryder represented us last year it was the first time in decades that the UK were supported. If Ukraine were not at war to get the sympathy vote we had it in the bag. Eurovision will not welcome miserable anti Europe sentiment and the UK exudes it in bucket loads. Brexit only made how we are perceived worse. We are disliked as a nation because we dislike them. Even this thread was started with negative comment. Thats the problem, its not trendy to like Eurovision. Its really a fantastic spectacle you you take the time to watch it. Ignore the politics, we brought that on ourselves. Where else would you get to see three hours of stage acts live for free? Lighten up UK and understand what it is. Yes it's political Greece always award Cyprus top marks and vice versa, neighbouring countries who don't get along don't vote for each other. But so what. It's just a bit of light hearted entertainment. Best watched on a big TV with a few bottles of wine.

Sam Ryder is apparently a singer and songwriter, that must surely breach the Trades Description Act. I know he came second last year but for heaven's sake the bloke is totally talentless. This country has produced some outstanding singer and songwriters but to describe this individual as such is criminal.

Sam Ryder. He can sing, he has got talent, and, he is a really nice bloke. A great ambassador for the UK. There is worse talent, generally rappers. I hope you are watching the Coronation Concert! There is a unique show!

Sam Ryder. He can sing, he has got talent, and, he is a really nice bloke. A great ambassador for the UK. There is worse talent, generally rappers. I hope you are watching the Coronation Concert! There is a unique show!
I'm not suggesting he isn't a nice bloke but let's be honest here he is not talented.

Next thing you know Ant and Twat will be invited to the Kings Coronation, wait a minute.

Whichever way you want to look at it....
The reality is that way way back in the bowels of history when Eurovision was started as a bit of a "nice family friendly get-together" sing along....

There were very few countries with sufficient technical expertise to do real-time live broadcast transmissions...

Our little island was one of a few who could provide cash and technical know-how to produce such a large Europe-Wide broadcast....

So by default the UK and a few other select countries were automatically valid entries for the grand final performances & broadcasts...... (Even if their entries were total tosh!!!).
As they were the ones who could actually broadcast the live event!!!