EV charger installers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tbh if its supplied with a 13a plug then it should be capable of being plugged into any 13a socket. if it needs a special socket then it should be different to the point of they cant be plugged into the wrong one
I agree, so the issue lies with the EV people not the electrical industry.

Remember, this is a classic case of politicians pushing something that is not ready for global rollout without an understanding of the infrastructure required, greedy companies jumping on the bandwagon and profiteering, and automotive makers who don't understand low voltage electrical systems.

FFS most of them believe that their EV batteries and charger outputs are HV.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to change without many fires or at least one death, and that is too much, but the political elite do not care, the current state of the world and especially what has passed in the UK over the last 12 months makes this patently obvious.

tbh if its supplied with a 13a plug then it should be capable of being plugged into any 13a socket. if it needs a special socket then it should be different to the point of they cant be plugged into the wrong one
 Friend of  mine has just bought a hybid Merc, it has 2 charging options, slow charge via a 13A socket or dedicated EV point which offers faster charging. Merc are installing the EV point as part of the sales package. What was interesting is that they have asked for lots of pictures of his electric supply and board, clearly so they can evaluate how to install the EV unit before turning up on site. It will be interesting to see what they have do. 

Friend of  mine has just bought a hybid Merc, it has 2 charging options, slow charge via a 13A socket or dedicated EV point which offers faster charging. Merc are installing the EV point as part of the sales package. What was interesting is that they have asked for lots of pictures of his electric supply and board, clearly so they can evaluate how to install the EV unit before turning up on site. It will be interesting to see what they have do. 
My guess is they will install a 18th edition ev charger which are Poping up claiming they do not require an earth rod. I just ordered the viridian ev centre for mine, as I cannot use earth rod due to under ground pipes and a huge cost to put one in as well as digging up my drive. So let's see what it's about. I don't think many people even consider that they have to contact their dno first if it's 7kw and above. Below apparently they can fit them and let the dno know latter. I just had the OK from them for mine. 

My guess is they will install a 18th edition ev charger which are Poping up claiming they do not require an earth rod. I just ordered the viridian ev centre for mine, as I cannot use earth rod due to under ground pipes and a huge cost to put one in as well as digging up my drive. So let's see what it's about. I don't think many people even consider that they have to contact their dno first if it's 7kw and above. Below apparently they can fit them and let the dno know latter. I just had the OK from them for mine. 
There can be no such product as an 18th edition EV charger as the 18th edition cannot be used to validate products for safety, nor can product safety be claimed against BS 7671, so any manufacturer stating this does not understand their legal obligations.

There can be no such product as an 18th edition EV charger as the 18th edition cannot be used to validate products for safety, nor can product safety be claimed against BS 7671, so any manufacturer stating this does not understand their legal obligations.
I do understand, and I was only quoting how they advertise it appoligies but I agree with you. 

That would be like saying I've got a new 18th edition fridge / TV/ Oven ........

Its all nonsense

Not really irrelevant, the statement that you made was incorrect.

So, the vehicle manufacturers and dealerships need to stop giving out the dangerous information, that way, the public will learn.

It's not the electrcial industry that is giving them the rubbish advice it’s the vehicle companies that are ripping them off & lying to them.

722.55.101.201.1 (i) indicates to the contrary

I suspect selling & installing a charger as part of the "car package" will become common place...

Save the customer the agro of sorting electricians to come and install a charger..

e.g. nice sales patter..  "Buy your new EV from us and we will sort out everything for you."

I had someone before Christmas ask me to install a secondary mini CU as their main house one was full with no spare ways.

Forgotten what make of car it was..  (but not one of the big high-end plush brands)..

Anyway customer already had the car..

just awaiting the car-brands-electricians to come and fit their approved charger...

BUT... they would only connect onto a CU with a spare 32A MCB....

Sounds like they have a gang of semi-trained EV charger fitters who are only competent to add a circuit onto an existing CU.?

:C   

BUT... they would only connect onto a CU with a spare 32A MCB....

Sounds like they have a gang of semi-trained EV charger fitters who are only competent to add a circuit onto an existing CU.?

:C   

I'm expecting that to happen to said friend, but them Mercedes are posh, and give a service, so might have sorted out proper staff? His car has a 'crash button' that summons help from Mercedes if you have an accident - don't get that sort of service from cheaper cars.

Not really irrelevant, the statement that you made was incorrect.

So, the vehicle manufacturers and dealerships need to stop giving out the dangerous information, that way, the public will learn.

It's not the electrcial industry that is giving them the rubbish advice it’s the vehicle companies that are ripping them off & lying to them.

I'm constantly battling with people on EV Owners forums who a blissfully un-aware of the potential problems that could occur when they use their "Granny" chargers on a "regular" socket

I'm constantly battling with people on EV Owners forums who a blissfully un-aware of the potential problems that could occur when they use their "Granny" chargers on a "regular" socket

Saw this the last night, 

The problem is generally joe public have zero idea of power, at least this chap had the sense to ask and the advice given was to get a professional in. They see a socket and have a matching plug and connecting the two will make electricity come out and do what they want it to. The majority of people thinking that plugging in a 3kw sustained load for around 10 hours is ok and because it comes from a car manufacturer it must be ok to use anywhere.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to change without many fires or at least one death, and that is too much, but the political elite do not care, the current state of the world and especially what has passed in the UK over the last 12 months makes this patently obvious.

Fires and thermal damage are going to become a very real and very common problem. I don't doubt there already are and will be a great number of very dodgy setups charging cars. 

It's rare I do end to end on a ring final circuit and find it is still a ring. Spurs off spurs, loose connections, installs that have only ever seen a DIYer mess with it in the 50 years since it was installed, add to that a shiny new EV and you have a recipe for disaster.