Evans Electric ( Deke)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carried out a periodic on a house this week. It will need a full rewire. The garage was 100 % asbestos apart from a rotten 2x2 timber frame and doors. Should i have even gone near it without my full body suit on ?
Slips your full body suit seems to fit nicely in your wheelbarrow :eek:

Not much room left for asbestos fibres though :^O :^O:^O

In answer to Trailer Boy I seem to remember the term apprentice but have not encountered one for nearly twenty years. There were loads of 'em when I stared in the trade (1961) in fact I was one myself. They used to chase boxes in, make tea and screw runners and nipple sticks ( Who remembers nipple sticks ?) Oh, and plug fixing holes with a Rawlplug tool ( No hammer drills !!) Must stop reminising, it gets boring but I really appreciate PVC conduit and SDS drillers !!

Deke
apache has to know what a nipple stick is! Anyone

Slipshod, if you work in that garage do'nt create any dust seems to be the rule.

I think all of us should treat the stuff with more respect !!

Thanks to Mr Sworld for the link.

Slipshod, Ah I'd forgotten that all runners had to be painted, yes , Dry-Galv paint or Red Oxide.

Apache Do'nt get too excited over the nipple sticks, they were a length of conduit about 12" long, threaded all the way ,by the apprentice, usually. When you wanted a nipple you cut one off the stick. The gaffers in the 60,s would not buy pre-made nipples, labour was cheap then, especially apprentices.

We also used Slipshod's trick of the Heating engineer's powered threading machine when we could.

I do'nt want to bang on about the old days but its all Slipshod's fault , with his reference to the threading machine. Instead of using trunking they went for 2" steel conduit which meant it had to be threaded. It was a two man job, the plumber's had ratchet dies but ours were about 4ft long, blooming ridiculous when you look back.

Oh, and a Bending Block for setting 3/4 conduit. No bending wheel like the plumber.

It was a block of wood 4"x3"x 3ft long, hole towards the top, shove the tube through to pull a sett in it

Deke