Explaining

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not very good at explaining things and just wondered what's the best way to explain to customers why a bs3036 should be upgraded to 17th split load. Can anyone give me any good pointers.

Thanks in advance

Hi,I'm not very good at explaining things and just wondered what's the best way to explain to customers why a bs3036 should be upgraded to 17th split load. Can anyone give me any good pointers.

Thanks in advance
How about it much easier for a fire to start without better protection unless they upgrade should put the willies up them

It will enable their electrical installation to comply with the current regulations

It will provide a higher level of shock protection

It will be easier to reset an Mcb or RCD then to rewire the Fuse in the event of a fault

Mcbs and RCDs are more sensitive devices and will provide a higher level of fault detection and protection.

But Do not insist that BS 3036 fuses are ILLEGAL, as they still can comply with BS7671

Having installed RCD protection I always inform the customer of what to expect.

"The RCD is so good that it is testing ALL your appliances every time you plug them in and switch them on"

"You may find over the first few days it will tell you need a new kettle, steam iron, washing machine element or as I had yesterday a new Pond Pump".

This helps deal with " It was OK before you fitted that new box"

My reply is "It wasn't but the old fuse couldn't tell you, the new "trips" can. :D

Having installed RCD protection I always inform the customer of what to expect."The RCD is so good that it is testing ALL your appliances every time you plug them in and switch them on"

"You may find over the first few days it will tell you need a new kettle, steam iron, washing machine element or as I had yesterday a new Pond Pump".

My reply is "It wasn't but the old fuse couldn't tell you, the new "trips" can. :D
Like when I did a CU change. 2 days later customer phoned and said can I fit 1 socket without RCD protection as every time my wife plugs the iron in it trips the RCD.

I said no, buy her a new iron (which would probably be cheaper anyway than paying me to fit a non RCD socket)

Like that !!!

Hi,I'm not very good at explaining things and just wondered what's the best way to explain to customers why a bs3036 should be upgraded to 17th split load. Can anyone give me any good pointers.

Thanks in advance
Go round and do this exact performance, complete with costume, fiery headdress and "Dad Dancing":

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Unqkoqw0cuE?feature=oembedNow, where's my coat?

:coat

Dont wanna start a big debate but if tails are 16mm do they need upgrading to 25mm. Was going to upgrade the MEC to 16mm and MPBC to 10mm so should I be upgrading the tails too.

I should know this really but im starting to doubt myself now.

Sorry for the simple question.

Cheers

when i see bs3036 fuses I explain that they do not protect against electric shock, and that in theory you shouldn't feel a shock on an RCD protected circuit (anyone had the pleasure of testing that theory?)

I also explain about the time I accidentally cut through a cable that was protected by a 3036, my snips blew up, it threw out a massive spark and the fuse didn't blow.

i still have a metal wylex board with BS3036's and no main RCD in my house and i'm happy with it, the only reason i'd change is to add the RCD to all the circuits rather than just the showers(they are on a small sub board).

i personally don't like trying to "sell" to tenants/customers but i don't mind pointing out benefits of certain changes/upgrades and let them decide but i certainly would tell any one that an old non-17th edition board was dangerous or illegal, thats the sort of thing that gets you on rogue traders and bloody good job too!

Yes theres a big difference between advising and telling!

Personally, I always advise a customer to upgrade from 3036 fuses, even if its just to the plug in 60898 fuses. I usually say, its something you may consider doing in the future.

just started a bathroom job

towel rail,,wall heater,,new light fitting no rcd in sight.

quoted for rcd spur and also quoted for a fuseboard upgrade as it would have been only

sellers,

It does hurt a little but as I'm here typing this it is obviously not fatal to me! :Blushing

It does cause you to smart somewhat though. :_|

I found it no worse than the around 30kV shocks I used to get when diagnosing misfire faults on petrol engined cars with electronic ignition.

The worst one I had was prior to my being indoctrinated into the safe isolation brigade. O)

I ended up in series with a light switch drop, thus the lamps were trying to light across my hands! bad day explode

The next worse was 800V d.c. from an industrial drive that we were fault finding on so it had to be live, and I took my eye off the ball for a second and my bicep ached for about 12 hours! Wet Fish

Paul

I'd say that you'd definately feel a shock from a RCD protected circuit...

30mA RCD's don't restrict faults to <30mA, they detect faults > roughly 30mA.. but in the event of a fault which is great enough to trip a RCD, the RCD should turn off soon enough as to not cause electrocution.

Hope that makes sense?!?!

you'll feel it all right but it massively reduces the chance of death

should you become connected in such away to draw 30ma or more

sorry to butt in, i was thinking of doing a leaflet drop about upgrading cu's, is there anything i should put/avoid on the flyer?
YES YES YES,

PLEASE DO NOT PUT that BS3036 rewirable semi enclosed fuses are illegal!

:^O

Paul

sorry to butt in, i was thinking of doing a leaflet drop about upgrading cu's, is there anything i should put/avoid on the flyer?
butt in !!!!!!

Thats highjacking mate

get your coat :red card

you could offer a free consultation if they have a rewireable board...

then try and sell them something they dont really need but would look nice

then i would look forward to seeing you on rogue traders

seriously it needs to be worded such that it wouldnt scare people.