exporting earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find that a lot of DNO's are moving away from TNCS now anyway, and reverting back to TNS.

I think you will find that a lot of DNO's are moving away from TNCS now anyway, and reverting back to TNS.
I have just got the new supply forms from EON and they supply TNCS as standard unless its a steel frame building with multiple occupancy, or other unsuitable buildings/locations. In which case they want the electrician to rod it.

I have just got the new supply forms from EON and they supply TNCS as standard unless its a steel frame building with multiple occupancy, or other unsuitable buildings/locations. In which case they want the electrician to rod it.
And we all know how knowledgeable EON are:|

Their argument for pushing TN-C-S via PME was that it was 'safer' as people would know if they lost their earth (as they also lost a neutral and probably a family member too) but on TN-S that may go unnoticed for a while.

It's unlikely that DNO's would revert to the more expensive TN-S.

We just had our assessment with NICEIC with the company i work for as approved contractor. I asked about exporting earth and the answer was there are no regs stopping anyone exporting earth on a TN system. If TT the outside building has to have its own stake/rod. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN ARGUMENT I AM ONLY QUOTING WHAT I WAS TOLD. THANK YOU. :D

Why oh why do we keep going over this as said before it may not be in regs its the people that supply the electric that don't like it so if you are happy to export a TNCS earth go ahead chances are nothing will ever go wrong but if it does remember you signed the part p certificate so you will be liable.

Yes thats right and even though BS7671 is non-statutory as long as work is best carried out to regs, that is what will prove my innocence.

....... remember you signed the part p certificate so you will be liable.
And what exactly would anyone be liable for??

There is no reg regarding exporting TNCS to outbuildings.

NO it doesnt, we are now in 17th so 16th dont apply anymore, thats like saying we only have to have 1 RCD,

the regs have changed,

Why oh why do we keep going over this as said before it may not be in regs its the people that supply the electric that don't like it so if you are happy to export a TNCS earth go ahead chances are nothing will ever go wrong but if it does remember you signed the part p certificate so you will be liable.
Agreed

Yes thats right and even though BS7671 is non-statutory as long as work is best carried out to regs, that is what will prove my innocence.
NO it wont, complying with EAWR will prove your innocence,

complying with the regs will only form a part of your defence in court,

being a competent person will form a better defence.

I'll re-phrase.

Apart from the references to BS7671 regulation numbers, and the terminology regarding 'direct' and 'in-direct' contact, nothing in this article has been altered by the introduction of the 17th edition.

They speak of the socket outlet requiring RCD protection for use outdoors, but, as we know, all socket outlets (other than special circumstances), would now require RCD protection anyway.

Other than this, the principles and methods in the article still apply - and this is from the IET. :)

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/2005/16-elect-inst-outdoors.cfm?type=pdf

Most people will have known what I meant by my previous post, but if I have to make myself clearer to a certain few, then so be it. :innocent

Odd, that reference to an NICEIC inspector not having an issue with TNC-S exported. My area engineer doesn`t like it; we were discussing one of the previous threads on here at my assessment last year (or was it the year before?).

I won`t export a TNC-S - maybe a TN-S (dependant on circumstances), and I really don`t have an issue with a TT.

I`ve just completed works for a customer, putting light & power to an outbuilding for them (currently TT). DNO need to upgrade supply (I`ve asked for, and got, a summation supply). So I called them, to query what they`d do about the earthing (the pole which supplies the overheads isn`t rodded), and we`ve agreed they`ll leave it TT. Saves me messing about with all the SWA terminations :) :)

KME

Odd, that reference to an NICEIC inspector not having an issue with TNC-S exported. My area engineer doesn`t like it; we were discussing one of the previous threads on here at my assessment last year (or was it the year before?). I won`t export a TNC-S - maybe a TN-S (dependant on circumstances), and I really don`t have an issue with a TT.

I`ve just completed works for a customer, putting light & power to an outbuilding for them (currently TT). DNO need to upgrade supply (I`ve asked for, and got, a summation supply). So I called them, to query what they`d do about the earthing (the pole which supplies the overheads isn`t rodded), and we`ve agreed they`ll leave it TT. Saves me messing about with all the SWA terminations :) :)

KME
Yes it was NICEIC that told me about not using expoted earths in out buildings. I did a job years ago new supply to outbuilding for workshop. Customer had supplied 3 core swa from meter which was just in property boundary to outbuilging about 30 meters away this was a new supply but dno would not give earth to building so I ended up having to TT it now i could not understand this as there were no services in building but I did what they asked as this was the only way supply would be put on. So nowadays i TT all outbuildings unless there is a real good reason not to.

Yes, but the thing you're forgetting, chaps, is the NICEIC don't make the rules (though they like to think they do). :innocent

Have a proper read of the 'Wiring Matters' link that I have posted, at least that's from the IET.

And if that doesn't convince you, have a read of GN8

I think a lot of this may be do to the Old supply regs and PME legality.

Things seem to have been relaxed under the newer ESQC regs 2002.

Latest posts