Extension Lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvfoozinda

Reaction score
Supplied by our Eastern European building friends on a site I visited recently. I assume they wanted their tools to work better!

2012-08-10121408.jpg

I needed that on a site last week.

Festoon lighting powered from a 110V transformer. Judging by how dim the lighting was, I am sure they had 230V lamps plugged in.

That reminds me of a job i did in a hotel near beamish when I was an apprentice the spark told me to change a pendant in a room simple loop in method isolated replaced put lamp in turned power on pop thought must be a duff got another lamp pop did this 3 times then looked at box it said 110 volts labourer had mixed all 110 volt.and 230 volt lamps up got no end of stick for weeks lol

I did that once too Alpha. Fitted some halogen in a church hall popped about four before realising I had got the 110 volt ones mixed up what a Rodney.

I actually have a lead very similar to that,

except it is a 240/230 lead with a 110 plug on the end, and a short runner with a 230/240 plug and a 110 socket on it, it can be used as both a 230/240 or a 110 lead depending on my needs,

it is kept as an emergency spare if I need more than one 110 or 230/240 leads as I only carry one of each normally.

Done a job about 9 years ago for a man who was proud to call himself a self maid millionaire. just finished 2nd fixing when the owner came up to me and said " you've got a problem. I've just turned the hallway light on and the bulbs blown" whilst I'm having a look he comes up and says "got the same problem in the lounge" started to scratch my head at this point. Then saw the bloke go to garage and come back with new lamps. Turns out he was nicking the lamps out of the builders 110v festoon lights.

Back to the original post. A friend of mine has a 110v transformer and has replaced the 13A plug top with a 110v plug and replaced the 110v socket on the side of the transformer with a single socket. Apparently works perfect and transforms 110v to 230v so he can charge his batteries up on site.

.Back to the original post. A friend of mine has a 110v transformer and has replaced the 13A plug top with a 110v plug and replaced the 110v socket on the side of the transformer with a single socket. Apparently works perfect and transforms 110v to 230v so he can charge his batteries up on site.
We did that back in the 70's before all the cordless & 110v stuff was around. When site fluorecent lighting first came out it was still 240v stuff with auto transformers inside to step it back up to 240v from 110v. All the sparkys used to nick the trannys & fit them in the battery compartments of there radios so they would work off 110v.

We did that back in the 70's before all the cordless & 110v stuff was around. When site fluorecent lighting first came out it was still 240v stuff with auto transformers inside to step it back up to 240v from 110v. All the sparkys used to nick the trannys & fit them in the battery compartments of there radios so they would work off 110v.
:D

I may have been one of them. :|

saying that, I have a cheapo woolies radio that works perfectly fine off eithier 110 or 230, its not very fussy,

bit like the woman that married me! :|

Actually I have a pair of leads. One has a 240V plug and 110V socket, the other has a 240V socket and a 110V plug.

They both have a perfectly valid use. Can you guess what it is?

Back to the original post. A friend of mine has a 110v transformer and has replaced the 13A plug top with a 110v plug and replaced the 110v socket on the side of the transformer with a single socket. Apparently works perfect and transforms 110v to 230v so he can charge his batteries up on site.
ive done the same, but you have to alter the wiring inside, you cant just swap the plugs (otherwise you will end up with around 50-55 volt output instead of 230)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:20 ----------

Actually I have a pair of leads. One has a 240V plug and 110V socket, the other has a 240V socket and a 110V plug.They both have a perfectly valid use. Can you guess what it is?
correctly used in the right conditions, then just about any adapter is safe

PAT testing some old 110V leads and I thought that plug's a funny colour. It was a 230V blue 16A plug sprayed a sort of yellow / orange. Lug cut off of course. Instant bin job.

That was inventive but going way back as a mechanical & production apprentice an older guy I worked with had a "special" transformer that he was VERY protective of. He used to carry the "shell" of a 110V transformer with the guts removed wired straight thru as in 230/230 and had 16A, 110V plugs on his drill, grinder and WELDER. The thinking was two fold: Much lighter to carry and you could get away with using 230V tools on site. Oddly enough the same transformer was frequently HEAVIER when it left the site as he used to fill up the hollow space inside with whatever would fit. As a kid I never twigged the problem - just got to carry it. It got "funnier". As a company we didn't have the tools PAT tested until one particular client asked for it. The client's own engineers on site had their own PAT test kit so our boss wangled a deal where if we dropped the kit off at the start of our service visit they would PAT test it for nothing. It so happened that I went to this site on my own with this guys van one day as he was on holiday. Duly dumped all the tools and leads with the maintenance guys. Couple of hours later the bleeper went off to phone the office ASAP. First thing they had done was take the plug top apart on the "special" trannie and found the M6 brass bolt in place of a fuse (for the welder of course). The client found out and was ranting and that was our last visit to site! No mention of the featherweight trannie or 110V plugs on 240V kit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:51 ----------

On our cleaning cranes we frequently have 110/230/400 etc running down the electrical cores in the centre of the steel wire suspension ropes. One time one of the cores went down which meant they had no 110V for their tools in the basket. So they ran leads down the side of the building. The frequent comment was "When you gonna fix the basket? Them big yellow batteries aint 'arf heavy!".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts