Extractor fan problems.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vad25

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Installed Low Profile Extractor Fan With Humidistat and when switch on power it started run straight ( switch for LS been switched off). Thought it needs time but after 1 hour steel was running. Disconnected permanent light, it stopped but no any reaction to switch when give power them. Went to Tool station and swapped fan for another, same problems.Today took another and same scenario. Connection has been made from lighting circuit with triple pole isolator( LS- switched Line,N-Neutral,L-permanent Line) .

Has anybody had that problem before, could you help me sort it out?

fan is from ToolStation Toolstation > Electrical > Fans > 150mm Low Profile Extractor Fan if link doesn't work code of it 54054.

Thank you.

Very humid at the moment IE humidistat is doing its job. 6'' fan that must be one big bathroom.

B-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The fan will continue to run until the set humidity level is reached, this is perfectly normal operation.

And in this weather may never stop that is why I am not keen on humidistat fans. Had one in our bathroom years back it would run on and on when it was humid luckily the control was on the bottom so you could switch it off.

yep, its deffo very humid at the minute, and as a note, its always more humid[damp air] in summer than in winter.

are you sure you havent got the perm and switch wires the wrong way round?

I would agree though that it will maybe run for well over an hour in this weather, have you tried a dehumidifier in the room for a day?

Thank you all for your answers.

Fan is ceiling mounted but I've tried 3rd one in my house on wall and it was running more than 2 hours.I can not understood why it works on automatic but when i disconnect L from power and use LS and N it never run. I've tried that also with one model which one has a timer and it works with no L connected .

Thank you.

I cannot see why you need a humidistat fan if you are using the light switch to switch it on and off. Surely a standard timer fan would be adequate, are there bad condensation problems?

Very true Slips but if it has on overrun you switch the light on then off that way it will run while you are in the shower and you can always switch it on and off again if you need too when you get out.

I don't know why you took the first fan back mate as the humidistat fan does exactly what you installed to do, it controls the humidity in the bathroom, they can run for days depending on the humidity.

You have wired it correctly as it needs a perm live to control the humidistat in the fan and the switched live is for when you turn the light onto clear the vapour.

You might have the setting inside the fan turned to high but then that also depends on what you are trying to achieve in the room.

I cannot see why you need a humidistat fan if you are using the light switch to switch it on and off. Surely a standard timer fan would be adequate, are there bad condensation problems?
Customer wants fan control humidity when his away and and switch it on when light go on.

And all house has problems with condensation but most of its in bathroom.