Failed D.E.I.P.I.R. (for a single dwelling)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris:

Saying "The CU should not have been coded" is a little difficult; given the lack of info regarding the O/P`s existing board. It may have necessitated coding; it may not. We simply don`t have the info to tell.

If the O/P can scan & include the PIR / EIC; maybe we`d have a better idea of what was done - and therefore how reasonable or extortionate the cost was.

In order to provide any meaningful comment, I, for one, need to know more.

KME

It is like to make an estimate without knowing the actual job. Single dwelling could be two bedrooms, could be four... CU - how many ways: 6, 10, 12. RCD or RCBOs... CU could cost

I agree KME, but I disagree with people coding using the terms 'consumer unit needs upgrading to 17th edition' theres no such terminology in PIR terms. Just seems like a sales stunt to me.

In all honesty I think you have been over charged, its hard to tell how much fault finding was involved but as you say he was there a day it does seem a little off, even by london prices.

How did you get put onto the electrician?

1. Upgrade to CCU to 17 Edition of the British Standard.

2. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in one of the sockets in the living room(right hand corner).

3. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in the socket on the landing.

4. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in the single socket in the main bedroom (near the T.V.)

5. Replace the broken single socket in the main bedroom.

6. Investigate and identify circuit 5 (unknown).

That seems like a list from a quotation/estimate for all remidial work. Really need to see PIR certificate to comment properly.

No1- upgrade CU could be to rectify a number of unsatisfactory code 2's etc on PIR

other items- investigate high E/L's & untraceable circuit. IMO this should really be part of the PIR. How hard is it to take off a socket to test at terminals to see if socket is worn out? Then again he may have done this, the high readings may be at terminals too. the quotation might be to pull up flooring and search for loose connections in junction boxes.

Its too easy to jump to conclusions and say its all a sales type PIR, without seeing the report its not really fair to say its a total rip off yet....

however it does sound like yet another PIR done which is an overpriced 'poke around', Code 1 and 2' ing every bit off work fancied. Sick of seeing PIR's from companies claiming lack of RCD code 2 etc etc.

But as said without more details is not fair to judge yet.

Of course it all may have been a wind up as the OP has not answered one single question asked by anybody if you posted a question surely you would then come back on and take part in the discussion..

if its 150quid per hour in london then it should be 1200quid for a cu change?

cmon we must have some london sparks here? Can't imagine they can charge more than 400per day? 200 up 'ere.

Of course it all may have been a wind up as the OP has not answered one single question asked by anybody if you posted a question surely you would then come back on and take part in the discussion..
i thought that aswell.........

can't really compare that way, thats not to do with the location, thats like asking mitie to come do your cu change. Then it will probably be around 1k.

We all know london sparks are on more pennies, but not 600% more.

Dear all

thank you for your comments which are much appreciated and sorry for not :Blushingresponding sooner.

Where possible I have included your question/s with my comment/s answers beneath.

>Doc Hudson

Welcome to the forum Mr Slim.

Thank you Doc hudson, it's nice to be here.

>Monkey5

did he quote for the extras before carrying out the work?

Yes, I was given the quote before the work was done

is that in london mate?

Yes Wayne, in London SE12 Lee Green.

>Sidewinder

Can you please give us some more information?

What was your old fuse box?

WYLEX

Did it have fuses or circuit breakers?

Fuses

How many did it have?

Cannot remember exact number

What has been fitted, make number of breakers, rcd's etc. or does it have rcbo's?

The report states Exel

Have you had full certifications for all the works?

I have a four page D.E.I.P.I.R. stating that the 'overall assessment of the installation:' is 'satisfactory'

Is that a certificate (it is the 'original')?

Why only 3 years on the property, domestics can easily be 10 years.

I do not know why it is three years (the previous certificate lasted from APR 2009)

What sort of property is it?

4 bedroom terrace house with garden and single garage

Did the main "earthing and bonding" need updating at the same time the consumer unit was changed?

I do not know

Did the contractor arrange for an isolator to be fitted by the electricity supplier at the same time?

I do not know

>Batty

Seems expensive for a PIR did he not tell you how much it would cost before he started?

I was told how much how much it was going to be and that it was urgent

>PC Electrics

I notice you've stated '+vat' - did you use a firm?

Yes, the property is let to a housing association and they instruct the company

Chris Haworth

Chris, the certificate was

Mr SLim, you should have received an "Electrical Installation Certificate" for the consumer unit change, this, if I am not mistaken, is a legal obligation along with it being notified to BC to comply with part P of the building regs.

The cost of this very should be included in the CU price.