Faulty Boiler ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deedee

Reaction score
Hi

I have an Ideal Logic 15 boiler installed last November. Programmer is ST9400C and wireless thermostat Honeywell DT92E. System was all working ok until  recently . Now the water is heating up ok but the central heating is not working at all. If I switch the water to off on the programmer and switch the heating to on, the heating indicator light lights up but the boiler does not switch on. I have rung the installer but he says it is a boiler problem and as it is still under guarantee to ring the manufacturer. When I rang them they said that it couldn't be a boiler problem as the water was heating.

Could you give me any idea what the fault may be so I know who to call to get it fixed.

Thanks

Your installer is being very uncooperative, your boiler should still be in warranty and the first port of call is with the supplier and not the manufacturer.

Check out your rights and the sale of goods act.

I have the same setup and hate the Honeywell wireless stat with a vengeance,,, IIRC you can give over ride the stat by pressing a button on the receiver (I may be wrong though ;) )

If that doesn't work then I'd turn the stat right down and then turn the system off (for about 30 seconds) and then back on,,, then turn the stat up and see if it works.

TBH I'm probably going to replace the stat with a Salus programmable one before long.. I'll swap it back for the service and if I need a warranty call out

Honeywell stuff has gone down hill big time. I did three new houses in 2010 heating guys supplied Honeywell ST9400 programmers. We had one fail around a week after they were installed. I now have another gone the lights are on but you are not getting an output. I would assume the switch contacts have gone in the programmer. When you look at some of the old stuff you take out that is around 30 years old  you think  shame they don't make stuff like they used to. Not sure what guarantee honeywell give on there stuff it doesn't say in the instructions so probably only one year.

just a thought,,,,,

what is the pressure at 1.5 bar ???

get the installer back it is his issue

is he gas safe registered ??? got his reg no. ???

phone them up for advice on his responsibilities,,

need to get a move on with this as they only give 12 months warranty on these installs

Ideal are talking crap . Get the installer back to check the controls side of things as these are not any thing to do with the boiler manuf, if its the not the controls its down to the manuf to sort it out, tell them you have had the controls checked and the installer told you it's down to them. 

Your installer is being very uncooperative, your boiler should still be in warranty and the first port of call is with the supplier and not the manufacturer.

Check out your rights and the sale of goods act.

As Manator said your installer lacks good customer service skills...

Maybe he’s also not to bright with heating controls from looking at your earlier post. http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/21872-wireless-thermostat-problem/

Either way if you paid him for the working system, he has some responsibilities to put it right.

All goods and services must be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. If some components he installed have failed, then the installer should be able to claim compensation from his supplier.

If you supplied the goods yourself and he only installed them then you also may have some responsibilities though your suppliers.

It’s just a matter of identifying who are the consumer/purchaser and who is the supplier/retailer.

For additional reading a have a look at the Sale Of Goods Act 1979... e.g.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/consumer-law-sale-of-goods

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

and the Supply Of Goods and Services Act 1982...eg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/consumer-law-supply-of-services

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29

Any system that failed within 12 months is not fit for purpose, nor is it of merchantable quality.!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quoting soga and other legislation at your installer won't make you many friends. You just need the controls checked, and then as far as I'm concerned its down to the manufacturer. They usually offer a efficient service in repairing their products in my experience. 

Or ring ideal and you many get through to someone more helpful. After all poking around I'm the boiler may invalidate the warranty! 

If I asked a electrican to supply and install a tv with warranty for me, I wouldn't ring him and expect him to go poking around in it if its under warranty, that what the manuf is there for! 

In our particular industry it's not quite as simple, the closest I have experienced is warranty with GDC group, who you have to fill in a simple form and email proof of purchase to, they then liaise with customer and have installed replacements no problem. 

Quoting soga and other legislation at your installer won't make you many friends. You just need the controls checked, and then as far as I'm concerned its down to the manufacturer. They usually offer a efficient service in repairing their products in my experience. 

Or ring ideal and you many get through to someone more helpful. After all poking around I'm the boiler may invalidate the warranty! 

If I asked a electrican to supply and install a tv with warranty for me, I wouldn't ring him and expect him to go poking around in it if its under warranty, that what the manuf is there for! 

In our particular industry it's not quite as simple, the closest I have experienced is warranty with GDC group, who you have to fill in a simple form and email proof of purchase to, they then liaise with customer and have installed replacements no problem. 

A TV is a bit different to a heating system which has external components that have to be set up correctly for the system to work..

Our industry still comes within the remit of supplying goods and services..

and as Manator rightly points out the supplier does have certain obligation for all goods and services they install.

However as I see it... herein lies the problem with this situation....

1/ The boiler fires and heats up water but not radiators...

So as the boiler manufacture suggests this would imply a controls issue.

2/ The installer appears reluctant to come back and check the controls..

3/ From earlier thread when first installed the installer got a link wrong so the system wasn't working correctly and had to be rectified.

4/ Should the customer have to pay someone else to come out and check some controls that are barely 10months old??

5/ Should the manufacture of the boiler have to pay someone to come out and check controls they have not supplied or installed??

6/ As it is unreasonable for the customer to pack the stuff back into a box and take it back for a replacement..

then the only reasonable and sensible action is for the installer to come back...

7/ If he has refused to come back..  it is worth reminding him of his obligations under law..

nothing to do with making friends..

just getting someone to provide appropriate and reasonable service to works they have been paid for. 

Gut feeling is the the installer is one of these guys who has limited idea about heating controls..

(which is why they fit wireless as less cables to connect up!!)

And only knows how to install new kit..  and has no idea about fault finding....

:popcorn   

So as I said then in my first post. Get the controls checked , I was simply pointing out its not always the best thing to go in all guns blazing with legislation, we only know of one conversation where it was implied it may be a boiler problem.

As I said the customer should get the controls checked so that then if required the boiler manuf can get involved. Has the installer been asked directly to check controls?

After all, going in spouting legislation may result in the installer charging you for possibly checking controls that are fine.

From post #1....

I have rung the installer but he says it is a boiler problem and as it is still under guarantee to ring the manufacturer.

Has the installer been asked directly to check controls?

See the OP's first post!...   And my comment 2/ above..

The installer appears reluctant to come back and check the stuff that he installed!..

IMHO first port of call HAS to be the installer with this particular problem...

THEN if proved controls are OK you can get the boiler manufacture involved...

If we go down the lines of calling manufactures as first step why only pick the boiler manufacture?

It is the supplier you have a contract with and they have duties under law to ensure their products and services are fit for purpose etc.. etc..

The OP appears to be fobbed off and unsure of who's responsible for what.

So from your two quotes the answer to my question is no, he has been asked about the boiler. As I said clearly in the first post ask him to check the controls, and don't go in all guns blazing with legislation as yo could end up paying for his time. I cleared it up for the op whee the installers responsibility lies. 

I no where said the installer wasn't the first port of call. And I can't see how the manuf can come up with it wasn't the boilers fault after a phone call. 

i have the exact same problem with the same boiler, the stat, reciever and timer controls are all danfoss products, i have a logic heat 15 boiler with a wireless thermostat and receiver with a timer next to it, all these parts and the three way valve were fitted about 3 years ago by the same company, (warm front) a few days ago the boiler has decided to stop warming the house and only give us water, the batteries in the stat have been changed for new, the three way valve is moving when the system demands it and the boiler has a C on the display when the stat is calling for heat, the blue light that shows the burner has fired will not come on though with the heating, when it calls for water the blue light fires but still no heat, the weird part is some of the rads are luke warm, 3 of the 4 upstairs rads and 1 of the downstairs are all luke warm

Latest posts