Favourite job?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Howard

Reaction score
Today I had one of my favourite tasks, sorting out a completely useless TT setup. Broken RCD and rod measuring >500 ohms.
I find strange satisfaction in bashing in new earth rods. I love the suspense of wondering if all the effort will be worth it, wondering if you've sussed where the other services are correctly, and the buzz when you get a good reading at the end and the rest of the street still has gas and water.

I started off with this. The same rod a year earlier had been 80 ohms:
1726231457013.png

Obligatory photograph for customer showing how long the new rod is (2 joined together), especially because they are not at home:
1726231512501.png

I'm still using the ground off 14mm SDS drill bit that I cut slightly shorter than I wanted to many years ago, but it works. It just sits inside a spare 5/8 rod coupler.

1726231882636.png

And the final result? Nowhere near my record but good enough to let me drive away happy:

1726231988308.png

I'm sure I'm a bit unusual in liking this task.
Within the vast array of things domestic and commercial sparks are asked to do, what is your favourite?

I always enjoyed fixing faulty central heating wiring. I was often called by my plumber mate to sort tings out.

I am staggered by how few people actually understand the wiring and the actual function of a correctly operating heating control. Most just buy a standard wiring centre and connect the bits according to colour codes of things like 3 port valves and never actually test it properly. I have fixed many systems that have never worked properly from the day they were installed.

i get a lot of that. called in to fix what others can't or haven't installed properly
Once fixed do you get "why couldn't the others fix it when you have" my usual response is have you still got their numbers if the answer is yes then it is why don't you call them and ask them because I don't know why they couldn't

Another job I like is sorting out broken under floor heating control systems. In my area other sparks seem to run a mile from these jobs.

Once fixed do you get "why couldn't the others fix it when you have" my usual response is have you still got their numbers if the answer is yes then it is why don't you call them and ask them because I don't know why they couldn't

my usual response is 'because there idiots'

and sometimes its fixing stuff that the employee's of the company who have subcontracted me couldn't do

Favourite job.............? :unsure:.

Entertaining some of the grandchildren whilst wife and/or children prepare & cook the Sunday lunch!!
(and/or any other meal on any other day of the week!!)
I seem to have acquired six grandchildren so far.. with another due next year!

BUT.. if you are referring to 'proper-paid-jobs'..............

Then its generally those from some of my regular customers who do not ask for a price up-front..
They just ask if you can do 'XYZ' and when you say yes..
Leave you to get on with it, without looking over your shoulder all the time.
Plus they then pay the invoice promptly!

Last edited:
I like remote out buildings..
A nice large shed, away from the house and neighbours. Customers are either out, or completely leave you alone.
Preferably a bit of sun, but not too much.
Radio on, very happy 😊

My favourite jobs are the cctv and networking comms cabinet wiring cat5 or cat6 where it is a mess then I get called to put it right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240916_140755_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_140755_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240916_140730_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_140730_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240916_140701_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_140701_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 0