FCU off spured socket??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam3

Reaction score
So here's the low down

I have brought a new build house and as expected it's a nightmare to add cables 

I want to add an outside light on the rear 

There are no sockets upstairs or down that would be easy to get a feed to outside 

My only option is go off an outside socket or make a FCU part of the ring but this would be more work and look worse 

This socket has been spured off the ringmain in 2.5mm cable.  Am I able to mount an ip rated FUSED spur off this socket as the fuse will be rated at 5A. and then take a 1.5mm black flex to the light. I know you can't spur off a spur but does this count if it's fused? As I can't see where a fault would occur as the fuse would blow before it affected the ring or 1.5mm cable

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Adam   just do it  it will  fine .   Its the same as if you were plugging the light into socket  . 

In fact you could just plug it in if you wanted to .    Either way is OK . 

Yes Adam   just do it  it will  fine .   Its the same as if you were plugging the light into socket  . 

In fact you could just plug it in if you wanted to .    Either way is OK . 
Thanks. I did think this was the case. Just wanted to double check this was within regs