FCU on Cooker Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right - I am off for a fag - then up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire.

G'Night all.

Hi Special Location,

Thanks for clarifying the process of calculating diversity for me.

Although as you say, Mr Sworld

Hi Special Location, Thanks for clarifying the process of calculating diversity for me.

Although as you say, Mr Sworld

Good point Spec's. However I read the OSG's Table 1A as individual items per circuit.

From the third paragraph on p84:

The current demand of a final circuit is determined by summating the current demands of all points of utilisation and equipment in the circuit...

So I'm reading that as each individual item has it's own diversity calculation.

However the first paragraph on p85 reads:

The use of other methods of determining maximum demand is not precluded where specified by a suitably qualified electrical engineer

So that covers your method.

I agree that it can be more sensible to consider a seperate hob and oven as a single item, it's just that i love my safety factors! :D

Good point Spec's. However I read the OSG's Table 1A as individual items per circuit.From the third paragraph on p84:

The current demand of a final circuit is determined by summating the current demands of all points of utilisation and equipment in the circuit...

So I'm reading that as each individual item has it's own diversity calculation.

However the first paragraph on p85 reads:

The use of other methods of determining maximum demand is not precluded where specified by a suitably qualified electrical engineer

So that covers your method.

I agree that it can be more sensible to consider a seperate hob and oven as a single item, it's just that i love my safety factors! :D
Hello Mr S'

As you say this is one of those grey area's where you can read the same paragraph and interpret it in different ways..

Personally I came to the interpretation on that Par'3 Pg'84 where the "points of utilisation" refer to the connection/isolation point of the fixed wiring..

So if both items are connected to the one cooker isolator switch.. then it is one point of utilisation??

At the end of the day it is the interpretation of the person signing the IEC.

And as long as the MCB/fuse is appropriate for the cable size..

worst case.. the fuse pops! & dinner is not cooked till latter! :D :D

I must also say that probably 80% or 90%+ of oven/hobs I have worked with have actually been either...

1) Electric oven with seperate Gas hob (only ignition needed).. or...

2) Combined single freestanding cooker, (oven + hob).

So the actually reality of this diversity calculation with TWO high power units doesn't actually come up very often.... :) ;)

That is.. excluding people like "DCM2039"! :eek: :^O:^O:^O:^O

Saying that... it is always good to get the ole' grey cells tickin & whirring again! :p :p:|

No chance m8 if Welshy's about...He'd have it out of your hand before you can say "30ma RCD"!! :eek: :O] :) ]:) ] :)

Oh by the way DCM...

when you get this new cooker working...

Were ALL coming round for Sunday roast!! ]:)

That INCLUDES steptoes horse!!!! :eek: ; ) :^O :^O:^O
:eek: - You can't eat Steptoes Horse. :(

:^O

I must also say that probably 80% or 90%+ of oven/hobs I have worked with have actually been either...1) Electric oven with seperate Gas hob (only ignition needed).. or...

2) Combined single freestanding cooker, (oven + hob).

So the actually reality of this diversity calculation with TWO high power units doesn't actually come up very often.... :) ;)
Quite!

That is the whole thing with regulations. They aren't hard and fast. Interpretation is all!

Admittedly as a (very) keen cook I wouldn't go anywhere near an electric hob, even the induction versions. Gas every time for the hob. Electric fan for the oven. :^O

Quite!That is the whole thing with regulations. They aren't hard and fast. Interpretation is all!

Admittedly as a (very) keen cook I wouldn't go anywhere near an electric hob, even the induction versions. Gas every time for the hob. Electric fan for the oven. :^O
WUSS!!! Ceramic & halogen all the way............

Easier for the missus to keep clean, too:x