Feel like giving it up...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
French carp Kangoo 1.9D (and not the turbo:()
I had a Kangoo two vans ago....I miss it, was a lovely little van.

It's bad out there at the moment, has been for a little while. Almost 10 years I've worked for myself and I've never known it to be this bad. The last time I struggled to find work was 1991/92.

Like you I wonder why sometimes. I get brassed off with customers saying I'm too expensive because some so called electrician has under cut me by an impossible amount. Makes me want to hunt them down and make them pay in some cruel and nasty way bad day explode

UPDATE...

Picked up my van late this afternoon..

on the forecourt they couldn't start it.. I think they then put the boost charger on it and it still wouldn't start.. then they pushed it into the workshop and a different mechanic went to have a look and listen to it trying to start, turned the key and the blinking thing went and started... they then carried on trying it several times over the afternoon and it started every time...

now I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but my pocket didn't feel any pain as they don't charge for diagnosis.. only for the repairs!

All we could assume was that the battery was slightly discharged and that the fuel pump solenoid wasn't operating.. maybe some mobile telephone interference??

So on the way home I called into a motor factors to get all the bits and pieces to service it.. fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, engine flushing oil and oil... however even though I gave them the reg no. they gave me the wrong blinking filters:(

a bad earth from battery to body, or body to engine, etc can give funny starting problems, but i imagine the mechanics would check this. I had a kangoo at first, it too broke and I sold it for spares, i tried everything and it wouldn't start.

I was once beaten to a job by the price of a downlighter.

Several months later i heard that the bloke never paid the other contractor all of his money.

not to make your problem sound worse, but i have a 'spare' van (long story!) that didnt work - turn key, engine turns but wont fire. after lots of bypassing immob and perm supply to fuel pump, checking ECU has positive feed etc, opened ECU. to find its cooked its-self. (have a pic somewhere if anyone wants to see)

byt he time this was discovered, ECU was beyond repair. so it may be worth opening it and checking for any dry connections. if there are, it may get worse

1x new (second hand) ECU later, and keycode chips from old, and its fine

and as a side note, it may be up for sale shortly if anyone is interested (52 plate SWB iveco daily)

I think I might get some contact spray and do the ECU connectors..

But first of all I'm going to give it an engine flush, oil & filters.. already done the air and fuel filter, just got the oil change to do on Sunday.. (It's not been done in 4 years or more :red card :coat )

I think I might get some contact spray and do the ECU connectors..But first of all I'm going to give it an engine flush, oil & filters.. already done the air and fuel filter, just got the oil change to do on Sunday.. (It's not been done in 4 years or more :red card :coat )
:eek: just think of all the money you have saved up to now :Salute just be thank full you haven't got an evo :_|

i do have a confession too about not servicing a diesel motor i had for a few years just kept topping up the oil if it went down. never had a problem with it

Guinness

drove 18 miles to quote for a friend of a friend who wanted 32 double sockets in all, sockets on chimney breasts for his lcd tellys ect, swa to his shed for lights and sockets, he told me hed had 3 quotes the lowest being

If i was just starting out or looking for a new career, this would be the LAST on the list.

Its just been dumbed down too much and everyone can be become an "electrician", as long as you can read.

If i was just starting out or looking for a new career, this would be the LAST on the list.Its just been dumbed down too much and everyone can be become an "electrician", as long as you can read.
some of the work ive seen, i dont think they have even read 7671

I am finding that for the first time in 3 years I am losing work on price and it is to bodgers who are not part P. I also wonder why we bother because a lot of Joe public don't know about part P and as such just look for the cheaper quote. Some don't even care about part P! Does my head in as we are losing work by being part P!!
I know how you feel, being VAT reg has the same effect I'm 17.5% dearer to start with

Is it your problem or the customers problem if you do work in their house and your not part p registered. Its their problem, so why do we bother.

Is it your problem or the customers problem if you do work in their house and your not part p registered. Its their problem, so why do we bother.
If you work for builders and are not registered they probably won't pay you if you don't give them a certificate.