FICA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaccui

Reaction score
I have just sat my Fica and fingers crossed will have passed :pray

so here are a few helpful tips.

1 don't worry about the motor it is easy

if you can follow a drawing which is in the booth then you will pass it

2 the 20 amp industrial socket again easy

it is already run in MICC from the board you just run in about 1 foot of cable

3 sockets again easy

only 3 of them take a loop from the double to a single for the heater socket

4 replace 13 amp fuse in heaters flex with 3 amp easy

5 scrd socket

just run a radial to it from the board easy

6 bonding

run a 4mm earth and crimp it then fix onto tray

run a 2.5mm earth and crimp it then fix onto trunking

run 10mm earth and fix onto bonding clamps at gas and water pipes

7 lighting only problem i had was my mind went blank on how to wire landlords switch but i had a drawing in the van so at lunch i went over it again.

8 testing

the guys will help you out a little

no need to do Ze, Pfc, rcd test done at srcd socket

9 fault finding

in a seperate booth you get a buzzer set and you are told 3-5 faults 1 at a time so find first 1 tell him he will tell you next fault and so on

another booth for visual faults same idea but no buzzer set just looking this time

10 the multiple choice paper

30 questions with various books available to use, within 1 hour

and that is it so as i said Dont panic over the motor circuit i did and when i got there it was ok.

Feel free to ask any questions.

:put the kettle on

3 sockets again easy only 3 of them take a loop from the double to a single for the heater socket
It's a while since I did my AM2 but I thought the heater was supposed to be spurred off the ring final circuit?

It's a while since I did my AM2 but I thought the heater was supposed to be spurred off the ring final circuit?
maybe i did not explain myself well but yes it is spurred of the double socket part of the ring

i keep failing the bloddy multiple chioce paper, this will be the 3rd time im back there, 2nd time i had to resit inspection and testing and multiple choice, this time multiple choice, its at the end of the month.

Biggest tip i can have for this is, if you dont think you can compleate the hole instalation, wire the circuit, fit the accesories, connect to the consumer unit and compleate it. an opperational circuit is far better than a circuit thats wired but has no accesories attatched.

I have my FICA tomorrow and am getting quite worried about the landlord switch and the testing. Is the key switch incorporated in the intermediate switch and how is it wired?

Any help would be fantastic.

sorry i just saw this and i am probably to late to help you. good luck anyway and IF you fail just try again ASAP there is no shame in having another go and you will know what you are up against this time.

fingers crossed for you.

Landlords over ride for lighting?

Just take a single from each common on two way switch to a key switch.

So when key switch operates it permanently feeds through switching. Draw it out and then you'll see it straight away!

Hope this helps

Latest posts