Filling out EIC cert.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Situation is. A garage supplied by a 4mm swa, with its own CU, 2 circuits lighting and power.

Filling out an EIC cert, I fill out one for the supply to the garage. Then can I use another distribution board cert for the garage cu? I'm using Green certs.

Are you saying you've wired a garage on a new submain? I'd do an EIC for the garage and a minor works for the submain.

i think id use one installation cert for this. Cant see a problem with doing it this way. Unless someone can point one out?...

Are you saying you've wired a garage on a new submain? I'd do an EIC for the garage and a minor works for the submain.
yeah, but with the submain being a new circuit I thought this meant it would have to go on an eic, not a mwc?

yeah, but with the submain being a new circuit I thought this meant it would have to go on an eic, not a mwc?
Quite right, just testing. ;)

Assuming the SWA has a Cpd of it's own, the second garage CU is effectively no different to a FCU, so it's one (EIC) cert for the whole thing, new circuit supplying garage.

Assuming the SWA has a Cpd of it's own, the second garage CU is effectively no different to a FCU
While it is effectively no different, it is different so therefore requires 2 certificates. When testing the second CU it is tested as such and noted on the certificate that it is not fed direct from the origin of the supply. There is no space on the cert for testing of the supply to the second CU in the garage so you need to fill out the second cert for the submain.

If you had fitted a FCU in the garage then, as you say, you would just test it as an additional circuit and only require one certificate.

If you are using NICEIC EIC's then the top line of the schedule of circuits can be used for sub mains..

If you are using other certs then use one EIC with an additional schedule of circuits. Use the first schedule for the sub mains and the second for the DB circuits.

If i am understanding this correctly, you would need an additional schedule of circuits and test results for your garage unit

On the first one you would list the details of the main consumer unit, even if you only fill in the test results for the appropriate sub main circuit

The second set will be where your circuit schedule and test results of the garage unit outgoing circuits, and on this one you will need to fill in the top part where it says only to be completed if the distribution board is not connected directly to the origin of supply

Carl

While it is effectively no different, it is different so therefore requires 2 certificates. When testing the second CU it is tested as such and noted on the certificate that it is not fed direct from the origin of the supply. There is no space on the cert for testing of the supply to the second CU in the garage so you need to fill out the second cert for the submain.If you had fitted a FCU in the garage then, as you say, you would just test it as an additional circuit and only require one certificate.
Absolute rubbish!

The job only requires ONE cert due to the common origin of supply i.e if you pull the fuse at the service head ALL of the relevant circuits are de-energised.

A single EIC can contain an unlimited number of Test Result Schedules but will only require one Schedule of Inspection.

It is also perfectly acceptable to use an EIC for multiple Minor Works, you only fill in the info relevant to said minor works.

I assume that this sort of confusion is arising due to people listening to the drivel that the NICEIC representatives pedal, rather than doing their own thinking.

I really do wonder at times............ headbang

might aswell add to what everyone else is saying...

you just need either 2 test schedules (one for each DB), or mark the top on as submain and the rest for the second DB. no need for 2 EIC's

G*d! It's not like certificates cost anything. At least if you print them yourself.

I assume that this sort of confusion is arising due to people listening to the drivel that the NICEIC representatives pedal, rather than doing their own thinking.
I've heard this before somewhere, and I don't normally listen too closely to the NIC.

Yes, 1 EIC with a continuation sheet would be ideal.

3rd time lucky?

Spot on !

As my earlier post

One EIC, but with an extra schedule of circuits and test results for 2nd DB

Pro, Carl & Andy - Well done guys :)

Pro, I know what you`re saying r.e. NIC; however I have never had any indication from them that my/our way is incorrect, as it obviously isn`t. There IS a lot of mis-understanding on what cert to use where; but, with a bit of logical thought (which I would consider a pre-requisite for electricial work), the process isn`t quite as complex as some peeps seem to think.

i.e. I recently completed the remedial list from a hotel`s "public entertainment licence" PIR - which involved work on four of the 15 TPN boards within the building, and 3 of the 200 or so SPN DBs. All my works are covered by ONE E.I.C. , with different schedule pages for each DB.

You can buy "continuation schedules" - if you use the NIC ones, they`re prefixed ISN2 - look em up on the `net if it helps. Basically, they are extra copies of the last two schedule pages (circuit details and test results), which are appended to the EIC, with the Serial No. of the EIC written onto each extra page.

HTH

KME