Fire Alarm Service Interval

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Good evening all. 

I hope your all well and keeping busy!

I have a question regarding the service interval for BS5839 Part 1 fire alarm systems. 

What is the legal requirement for service intervals? 6 months or annually?

We usually sub our fire alarm work out, but had a client ask about servicing requirements the other day. 

Cheers

GS

The recommended period between successive inspection
and servicing visits should not exceed six months

Slips, what worries me is that some people install fire alarms and yet have no idea of the requirements. Peoples lives depend on them working correctly.

Word of warning to all. If you install any fire alarm and any person is harmed as a result of your installation not providing the protection that should be afforded, make sure your insured to the hilt.

On  a recent shop refit i got asked to 'just alter the fire alarm & emergency lighting as you think'. I politely refused , replying i did not know the company, local council, landlord and insurers requirements nor their  particular health and safety rules so i need a drawing to work to . We do have PI insurance for this type of work but i know  they would not pay us  any more than the set rate of per point installation.

Slips, what worries me is that some people install fire alarms and yet have no idea of the requirements. Peoples lives depend on them working correctly.

Word of warning to all. If you install any fire alarm and any person is harmed as a result of your installation not providing the protection that should be afforded, make sure your insured to the hilt.
As I said we sub fire alarm work out. 

Cheers

GS

plice said:
my friend's house went up in flames, he didn't have any alarms!
 I suspect you are meaning smoke alarms? Everyone else is meaning Fire alarms