Fireproof Ceiling Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Garage, with habitable rooms above.

Garage ceiling is fireproof 2 layer plasterboard ceiling.

Ordinary (yet to be detailed) lights in garage.

Is it okay to run cables above ceiling and drill through ceiling for cable drops to light fittings? if so does the cable hole need sealing with some fireproof sealant?

any hole size you want but must be fire proofed (never fireproof but retardant for a time period) after, as said intumescent sealant (I use high expansion stuff) or sheeting/pillow if the hole is large such as tray through a wall.

Thanks

Always before, since garage walls are normally not lined, just bare brick or block, I've just used surface conduit or trunking up the walls and across the ceiling.

But this customer wants it all hidden in the garage which is a PITA.

attended a house that had had a fire in the garage some years ago. A metal buckle had fallen down the back of some plastic shelving and got jammed against surface run cable feeding sockets in said garage. Buckle had managed to short out cable and being an old CU with cartridge fuses and an RCD ( a mix I've never seen since) buckle  had got hot enough to set fire to plastic shelves, which promtply filled house with horrible smoke through various holes in ceiling left by plumbers etc etc. RCD failed to trip even when tested at 5x so had allowed fire to propogate ( no one had tested or pressed test button for 20 years or so). So my advice would be to use smallest hole possible and intumescent seal gunge in every hole

Of course 30 Minutes delay is still no use if you didn't wake up during it ... Check / update smoke alarms is probably the most useful thing to do

Integral Garage should have interlinked HEAT alarm as Smoke Alarm will be triggered by exhaust Fumes.

I read in a lot of job specifications- any penetrations over 25mm through a fire barrier must be sealed.

That is a regulation Adammid;  an area 710 square mm.

which is approx 1 squ in.

Reg 527.2.3 which refers to INTERNAL fire-stopping of

cable management systems.

Good God Slips;  that is terrible.  I saw an artifact on a

firefighting course.  It was a glass globe lamp fitting within

a cage.  The heat had melted the glass to a syrup and had

trapped the bulb in the shrunken envelope.  The same fire

had annealed die-forming nuts in the workshop.