floor sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats because you actually care if cmr wants it moved where most data installers just see more cost running cables back and do not appreciate that may not be possibe durring daylight hours in most places (which adds even more cost).
The thing that makes me notice more and do things like this is because I do it all. I've been on jobs doing data cabling but have also then done all the electrical alterations, fire alarm, security, fitted the staff kitchen, plumbed and tiled it etc... Because I do all this I know that as an electrician I will be moving the floor boxes at some point, and that I would need the data to be long enough to reach as it can;t be unplugged and moved and as I am also the data installer I can do this. A lot of data cablers or indeed any other trade specific tradesmen, just think of their bit of the job, not the job as a whole.

One thing that concerns me now is Lurchie and me seem to be agreeing on far too much lately. :p
Another one down. ;)

The thing that makes me notice more and do things like this is because I do it all. I've been on jobs doing data cabling but have also then done all the electrical alterations, fire alarm, security, fitted the staff kitchen, plumbed and tiled it etc... Because I do all this I know that as an electrician I will be moving the floor boxes at some point, and that I would need the data to be long enough to reach as it can;t be unplugged and moved and as I am also the data installer I can do this. A lot of data cablers or indeed any other trade specific tradesmen, just think of their bit of the job, not the job as a whole. ;)
I understand and agree with what you`re saying mate. As I`ve also done SOME of it ( you do NOT want to see my tiling efforts....), I also try to work with other trades.

I have a general base of plumbit, plasterer, tiler, roofer etc. We`ve all worken in each other`s own houses. We know the way we all work, we trust each other & have no concerns with recommending them to customers. It makes a heck of a difference.

Thanks, guys, for all the constructive posts ;)

if i was you and are opting for the data to be done by someone else you'll want the data guys there before your visit to confirm what boxes will reach the new positions and which wont and will need disconnecting allowing you free movement

if i was you and are opting for the data to be done by someone else you'll want the data guys there before your visit to confirm what boxes will reach the new positions and which wont and will need disconnecting allowing you free movement
Good call as it wont take much to strain the cat5 (or whatever) and pop a conductor or 2.

I`ve spoken to the owner today - they were going to be lifting the panels today to find out how much slack (if any) there is.....

If they won`t reach - new length back to the patch panel.......

KME

I`ve spoken to the owner today - they were going to be lifting the panels today to find out how much slack (if any) there is.....
It's at this point they look and go 'ooh, they just plug in, cancel the sparky'!

I have just ripped out and replaced loads of these floor panels, just on two circuits I coined