Fluorescent Light Burnt Choke

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_spark

Reaction score
Just been called to a small companies office today where a fluorescent fitting was described as having gone pop and then started smoking.

The choke was burnt out and I disconnected the fitting, so the rest of the lights could go back on. This was the second fitting of a bank of four, about 5 years old so only 2 now work.  The guy who did the install was called back to the first about 6 months ago and disconnected it and never came back to repair it. 

The fittings are Thorn Louvrelux 2, the ballasts are Tridonic Atco EC58 A509K and are replacable.  I can either replce fittings or the ballast whichever is cheaper. Does anyone know the best place to get these from?

Has anyone had any problems with these fittings before? The company director is wondering if there was ever a recall with this product or if it is a common fault.

Was the original bloke getting paid to repair it?

Five years, cheap easily replaceable part personally if I owned the fittings I wouldn't be moaning too much. 

Was the original bloke getting paid to repair it?

He would have been if it was fixed!

Five years, cheap easily replaceable part personally if I owned the fittings I wouldn't be moaning too much. 

That what I thinking, they're on all day every day

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody good value out of a part less than £10 then! 

I'm constantly replacing Tridonics or usually the fitting TBH , its cheaper if you take one with you . 

Then I usually make a few good fittings with replacement chokes .

I Did some lighting tracks over the presses at a printers some years back ,  HF  Tridonics and the other well known make whose name escapes me .  Spent the rest of my life replacing the HF ballasts.     And no,  there were no SS fittings on the circuit.    I went back to SS after that . 

This has been discussed a few times before. I think you find the ballasts go before the tubes. If they were switch start in five years how many times would the tubes and starters be replaced?