FOGSTAR DISCOUNT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fogstar have an offer code at the minute REFRESH for 20% discount. It makes their 280A LifeP04 EVE cells £115 each which is a great price for grade A EVE cells. I purchased mine from them last year, great company to deal with and they are UK based.

I dont have an expiry date for the code.

Fogstar can be found here: Fogstar

Last edited:
They don't sound very confident in the quality of their batteries if they think they could degrade to the point if replacement in 6 months.

I'm not expecting mine to be less than 80% in 16 years minimum.

They don't sound very confident in the quality of their batteries if they think they could degrade to the point if replacement in 6 months.

I'm not expecting mine to be less than 80% in 16 years minimum.
Just a marketing ploy I'm sure, the EVE cells are top quality and should go way beyond the normal 6000 cycles, I dont think I'll be around to see them deteriorate to that level.

Yeh I'd definitely agree, but it's a really bad one that casts doubt on the quality of their own product.

How do you find out the quality of cells used, and is this something that can be done for all batteries?

Yeh I'd definitely agree, but it's a really bad one that casts doubt on the quality of their own product.
Not really if you're worldly wise
How do you find out the quality of cells used, and is this something that can be done for all batteries?
I was buying individual cells and specifically EVE Grade A cells which is what I ordered and was supplied. EVE cells come with an individual QR code and a test record for each cell.

https://www.evebattery.com/en

So worldly wise rules out 99.99r% of people then. Lol

Ah ok, so it's not a database of independent testing that you can go to. That's a shame, I'd like to know the (supposed) quality of my batteries.

I think they mostly do e cigaret cells, and 18650's which may well have degraded in 6 months. Their prismatic cells will be a different story. Misplaced marketing

Am I reading that wrong, or is Shaun saying they are poor quality?
Small llithium ion batteries do degrade quickly, just look to things like phones, AirPods, hearing aids etc, degradation starts from the first use and could be 50% loss in 7-800 cycles or 2 years.
Larger LFP cells, which Frogstar also sell are likely to last decades. Different chemistries for different reasons. Take an electric car battery for example, good for 1500 cycles, compared to home energy storage batteries at 6000 cycles.

This explains why vehicle to grid is not ideal.

Though some cars are coming out with LFP like the new tesla model 3's LFP variant (no vehicle to grid) or MG4 LFP variant which does have vehicle to load, 3kw.

So your saying vehicle batteries, if charged daily, would only last 4 years ish, or is that 4 years before they start to degrade, or degrade to a specific level, eg 80%?

They start to degrade immediately after manufacture, both chemically (aging) and cycling (using them), degradation is also accelerated by temperature, charge / discharge speed and mechanical stress. Also all the indervidual cells will be at different charge levels and capacity always so you often get lots of good cells held back by one bad cell in the series.

Take an electric car battery for example, good for 1500 cycles, compared to home energy storage batteries at 6000 cycles.
That doesn't reflect my experience with 2 EV's

Most EV manufacturers GUARANTEE their battery for 8 years / 100,000 miles. Our Outlander PHEV is now 9 years old, with 200,000 miles on the clock, has been charged daily and still has 92% capacity. My i3, 2017, 85,000 on the clock and is only showing 2.4% degradation. 1500 cycles would be potentially less than 6 years if it was a daily runner and charge whilst out as well as overnight.

Latest posts