Found On An Eicr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I found this gem on an EICR of a local nursing home.  It had been done 5 years previous and I can only pressume was missed.

WP_20130205_002_zps16120a8b.jpg

WP_20130205_003_zps55153ea8.jpg

The cover on the meter was originally on before the photo.

I found this gem on an EICR of a local nursing home.  It had been done 5 years previous and I can only pressume was missed.

WP_20130205_002_zps16120a8b.jpg

WP_20130205_003_zps55153ea8.jpg

The cover on the meter was originally on before the photo.
i wish you wouldnt post photos of my electrical installations i had a right nightmare to get that installation to that standard :slap

seriously though that installation needs disconnecting and making a proper job.,

I can only presume the last inspector only started his inspection at the CU on the assumption that's the DNO's responsibility and none of his business.

In my experience, a call to the DNO telling them it's a care home and THEIR installation is DANGEROUS would get someone out the same day. So before you have finished your testing, the DNO guy should be there to sort it all out and make it safe.

Wish i had time for all that. Just whipped them out. No danger.

Just asking for learnings sake, in the absence of Amelie, and a DNO guy, where does the DNO's responsibility stop? I understand that we are not allowed to mess with the cutout and the meter, but what about the tails coming from the meter to the DB? Obviously they have to terminate into the meter....

What is the legal stance on it?  Im not on about what happens in the real world, but what should happen if we lived in an ideal world

Just asking for learnings sake, in the absence of Amelie, and a DNO guy, where does the DNO's responsibility stop? I understand that we are not allowed to mess with the cutout and the meter, but what about the tails coming from the meter to the DB? Obviously they have to terminate into the meter....

What is the legal stance on it?  Im not on about what happens in the real world, but what should happen if we lived in an ideal world
Wouldn't the "ideal" be that a REC isolator gets fitted? So meter to REC = theirs / REC to DB/CU yours to mess about with as you like! 

I believe the tails leaving the meter are the consumers, so the DNO will not be interested. There are ongoing discussions  about the responsibility that the consumers connections at the other end of the tails can be loosened when a meter is changed  (don't ask me to quote what discussions, i cant remember)

I believe the tails leaving the meter are the consumers, so the DNO will not be interested. There are ongoing discussions  about the responsibility that the consumers connections at the other end of the tails can be loosened when a meter is changed  (don't ask me to quote what discussions, i cant remember)
There is even talk of the meter gibbon checking the connections in the CU after the meter change " if he thinks it appropriate having carried out a risk assessment "

What dot YOU think will be the outcome of this risk assessment

Last one I went to the gibbon had fitted the meter and an REC2.... Connected my tails BUT had clamped the sheath on HIS side on the @ L and N......so obviously copious checks were completed upon refitting of the fuse ! Tricking Fosser

In a case like this I would have called the DNO stressing it was DANGEROUS

They have an obligation to maintain THEIR kit in a safe condition.

Here, we had THREE sets of meter tails going into ONE set of terminal, so some haircutting must have been done, and two of those went nowhere arnd were just tucked up behind the board.

In this case the active set of tails going to the active CU look to be in good condition, so all that was needed was to re terminate just the one set and re seal.

Usually I find the DNO are responsive to this.  BUT just once, I had the DNO refuse to come out to substandard meter tails. On that occasion I made the mistake of not telling them it was dangerous, and in that case the energy supplier to the property was not the DNO. So I met in impass. The DNO said your request must go through your energy supplier. The energy supplier, N Power would NOT do anything over the phone, but just said "put your request in writing"

Now that bit is scandalous. If it's dangerous, the DNO need to attend, and / or the energy supplier needs to request the DNO to attend. To fob you off and ask for a request in writing in an emergency is just not on. One reason why I advise people not to use N Power as their energy supplier, as they might regret it when something goes wrong.

But if Ms Amelie has been before you, I personally see nothing wrong with re terminating, as long as YOU are competent to do it, and then advise the DNO the installation needs re sealing.

Last edited by a moderator: