freesat on sky dish

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrocuted

Reaction score
Good evening,

I have just cancelled my sky and wondered if i can use the dish to hook up a freesat box. And if so which is the best box to get.

thanks guys.

you will recieve all the free sat chanels when your subscription ends automaticly

as above record feature wont work on sky box, i have a freesat with twin tuner and also recieves the hd channels, just connect existing sky coax's to freesat box.

I have got an old sattelite box as had mine upgraded to sky plus, so if I ran a cable to this other box from the dish would I then get freesat or do I need a special box or anything?

Sorry to half hyjack the thread?

Also what channels do you get? More or less than the free digital? The reason I ask is I need a new arial for the digital to work so thinking this may be a lot easier and cheaper for me.

I have got an old sattelite box as had mine upgraded to sky plus, so if I ran a cable to this other box from the dish would I then get freesat or do I need a special box or anything?Sorry to half hyjack the thread?

Also what channels do you get? More or less than the free digital? The reason I ask is I need a new arial for the digital to work so thinking this may be a lot easier and cheaper for me.
no u would get freeview, technically freesat but ur using a sky box its all the same anyway, just run from the dish to the old skybox and it will all work, just make sure your lmb will accept another cable (if not there only cheap on ebay).

or you could pay an extra

Thanks for the reply I've had a quick look round the internet and people are on about a card, do I need a card as well and if so can I get one from sky or someone else?

Thanks for the reply I've had a quick look round the internet and people are on about a card, do I need a card as well and if so can I get one from sky or someone else?
im not 100% about the card but i dont think you need one, i have used sky boxes before for freeview without a card but some boxes may be different and require one, but i have never needed one when using old sky box.

i was told by sky that the viewing card you are using now is acceptable

Whilst you'll get 'some' channels for free via the sky decoder set up, it won't be as many as the proper freeview box.

Sky sports news and virgin 1 to name two off the cuff.

And the card thing is required for channel 5, but your old card might well do the trick.

The record thing, live pause etc is overcome by running everything through a recordable dvd machine with a dvd that you just keep recording over and over on.

Many channels like Channel 5 are now free to view and it seems the cards are now hard to come by.

Main difference between old sky box and free to view box is:-

1) Free to view boxes don't in general have 14 day listing.

2) Sky boxes have no output to control the dish rotator so only Astra can be used.

Also free to view boxes will normally allow you to select type of channel scanned and re-order and delete channels so you do not need to wade through loads of encrypted or sex channels.

Having used for both astra and Turkish TV I have got 3 free to air I have used each one is different. Mainly with the electronic program guide but also with sensitivity all being better than sky box.

Many channels like Channel 5 are now free to view and it seems the cards are now hard to come by.Main difference between old sky box and free to view box is:-

1) Free to view boxes don't in general have 14 day listing.

2) Sky boxes have no output to control the dish rotator so only Astra can be used.

Also free to view boxes will normally allow you to select type of channel scanned and re-order and delete channels so you do not need to wade through loads of encrypted or sex channels.

Having used for both astra and Turkish TV I have got 3 free to air I have used each one is different. Mainly with the electronic program guide but also with sensitivity all being better than sky box.
They have to provide these Channels because you pay a TV LICENSE

Latest posts