funding for businesses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I've had a lad over the past 3-4months every thursday and friday while he does a years electrical course at college and for the full weeks when he's on holiday.

The times come where hes finnished college and looking for an apprenticeship and sadly I can't commit to give him one. The weekly wage is fine the problem lies with paying him while he's at college for 16weeks in the first year and 9 the next. times that buy 150quid and I've got to pay out

The powers that be are trying to kick start a new program aimed at people like you. The funding is for the first 12 months only, initially, but other schemes are coming on line to try and make it more financially attractive to take on a full time apprentice. I am not up to speed on this, as I have read very little since January about it.

My apprentice was paid part for by me and part by the college. The college paid his course fees, and I only paid him when he was at work, subject to minimum wage restraints. Mind you I did pick him up as a second year. Without the above arrangement, I doubt I would have bothered, and if I had to pay course fees, I'm not sure I would bother now either???

I thought if you take on an apprentice you don't have to pay them the minimum wage but probably wrong about that. If you do take someone on though surely after a few months they wil be able to do things so pay there wage anyway. I personally would not take one on as I don't have the time to train them up.

I think as a sole trader it is probably a greater risk taking someone else on than it was to commence self employment in the first place.... :|

Partnerships and small companies with more than one person can always share the load of supervising and organising the workload and training of an apprentice, and easier to work around holidays, sickness or other personal commitments.

If you as the sole business management supervising, operation person want a few days off for family commitments it must be harder when you have to think of the implications upon your apprentice...

Whereas a small business can get other members of the business to take on apprentice supervision duties!

Over the past 13 years I have been trading I have considered the pros & cons of some extra hands....

But so far the cons still outweigh the pro's even though on some jobs an extra pair of hands would have been useful! :C

following on from spec locs post i got the ex's sisters boyfriend to help, on the second job i asked him to give me a hand he decided to post on facebook the customers road name, and job type that we were doing saying along the lines of cant wait till tomorrow, great day to day, which in all honesty i wasnt amused by any stretch of the immagination and asked him by text message to remove the comments with immediate effect. dont know what you lot think to that, but lets just say that as the last job he helped me do !!

following on from spec locs post i got the ex's sisters boyfriend to help, on the second job i asked him to give me a hand he decided to post on facebook the customers road name, and job type that we were doing saying along the lines of cant wait till tomorrow, great day to day, which in all honesty i wasnt amused by any stretch of the immagination and asked him by text message to remove the comments with immediate effect. dont know what you lot think to that, but lets just say that as the last job he helped me do !!
Was he tweeting whilst on the job too ffs lol

no he was actually really good, spot on in fact head screwed on etc, but i was just annoyed when he plastered it on facebook :coat !!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:16 ----------

Is that really the Ex-sister.. :eek: or should we be..

Sisters ex boyfriend? :Salute :) :^O
no i meant my ex girlfirends sisters boyfriend :p

Has he been employed since with you mate or did he kill it by faceaching. I wouldn't even let anyone I know post anything about me or my business on facebook. Jokers

I have been doing a few checks about this, and apparently the government are trying to encourage more apprentices, however the funding for employers is still a tricky area. From 16 to 18, they will pay 100% of the training fees, this then reduces to 50% when they reach 19. The minimum wage the employer is expected to pay is