fuseboard split load

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
When installing a new split load RCD fuseboard, what is the best practice for putting which circuits

on which RCD bank. What does the NICEIC reccommend.This does confuse me a bit talking to different electricians.

Thanks Rob

Split load/RCD boards are a cop out on the regulations, the idea is to reduce the nuisance tripping. They are always a compromise due to financial reasons.

No circuit should be allowed to effect another, which is why we have separation but clearly if one circuit trips the RCD controlling 5 circuits then the other 4 circuits will go down as well.

If we then take this as a fault that could last overnight for example, how are we going to split the circuits to cause as little nuisance as possible? We can separate the sockets and lighting for each floor, so that if the lights go we still have power at the sockets for lighting, if the sockets go, we still have lighting. There are no hard and fast rules, its always going to be a compromise.

I put the cooker on the opposite to downstairs sockets, Purely so as to have one working socket on the ground floor at all times, prevents the need to trail extensions from upstairs.

Other than that it's up and down on opposites for lights and sockets.

What the others said. However, recommendations by NICEIC is neither here or there. Stick with the regs and you won't go far wrong :)

Rob69 , just use your common sense , as said above you need to reduce the nuisance factor. A lot of guys don't like the dual RCD idea but they're cost effective .

Not sure what it has to do with the NICEIC but ideally you want lights up and lights down on seperate RCDs and so on ....as I said ...common sense needs to prevail .

I put the cooker on the opposite to downstairs sockets, Purely so as to have one working socket on the ground floor at all times, prevents the need to trail extensions from upstairs. Other than that it's up and down on opposites for lights and sockets.
same here, + immersion opposite to boiler

Split load/RCD boards are a cop out on the regulations, the idea is to reduce the nuisance tripping. They are always a compromise due to financial reasons.No circuit should be allowed to effect another, which is why we have separation but clearly if one circuit trips the RCD controlling
Not quite in agreement here mate, the first point is correct 'to REDUCE nuisance tripping' but I dont think it says that no cct should be allowed to effect another.

You are right about cost, if all boards were RCBO then there should be no nusience tripping and boards would beable to be physically smaller.

We have to do the best we can given budget and technical restraints

If you were to go word for word with the regulations then yes.
Guess there's "properly" and "real world" as always! Went into a proper "old school" electrical shop today run by a father and son. Don't really use them but happened to be in the area. All I wanted was a long M6 BRASS bolt for a banjo fitting. They only had zinc plated and I mentioned I wanted to "Do it properly". The guy said "If we did it all properly we'd never make any money!". "That's why I'm broke then" I said. Apparently unless I'm "pulling loads of amps" then zinc plated or stainless steel "will be fine"??? Needless to say I came away empty handed! Got long brass ones in the shed "somewhere".

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:13 ----------

Not quite in agreement here mate, the first point is correct 'to REDUCE nuisance tripping' but I dont think it says that no cct should be allowed to effect another.You are right about cost, if all boards were RCBO then there should be no nusience tripping and boards would beable to be physically smaller.

We have to do the best we can given budget and technical restraints
It says "REDUCE" in "Division Of Installation". BUT it goes on to say "separate circuits shall be provided for those parts of the installation which need to be separately controlled, in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits..........". I would agree its a bit "grey" as in what circuit needs to be separately controlled? Could argue all night on scenarios.........e.g. washing machine on at night downstairs and on the same RCD as the upstairs lights, you're bathing the triplets when the washing machine takes out the upstairs lights......no worries just plug in a table lamp to the upstairs ring! Maybe the kitchen should have had it's own separate ring? So what RCD do you put that on? With the upstairs lights..same problem. With the downstairs lights......so that's the whole floor out with no chance of plugging a table lamp in. To my mind, with RCBO's so cheap (I've seen the lesser known brands for like

Well I've got 2 board changes next week, one a 7 way RCBO and the other a 6 way twin RCD... Go figure?
The 7-way is for a friend / relative of yours?

When installing a new split load RCD fuseboard, what is the best practice for putting which circuitson which RCD bank. What does the NICEIC reccommend.This does confuse me a bit talking to different electricians.

Thanks Rob
Well..................

You show me the regulation, (and or guidance) that states how you MUST arrange your circuits in the first place..

and I will then show you the regulation/guidance that then says how you arrange those circuits across RCD's...

But I honestly think you will have more luck collecting rocking horse pooh!!!!

( Not all properties are wired the same, concrete floors often mean left/right or front/back rather then up down sockets..)

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE WISE WORDS ALREADY SPOKE BY THE ORACLE SIR DEKINGTON OF BRUMIGHAM...

Rob69 , just use your common sense , as said above you need to reduce the nuisance factor. A lot of guys don't like the dual RCD idea but they're cost effective . Not sure what it has to do with the NICEIC but ideally you want lights up and lights down on seperate RCDs and so on ....as I said ...common sense needs to prevail .
If you honestly cannot use a bit of noggin to suss out the best way to arrange the final circuits for a property...

Then you should not be changing CU's!!! :|

go have another read of.. 314.1

"Minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault" is the Key phrase ;)

is more applicable to safety critical circuits not domestic sockets going off on one floor! :C

Tip of the night..

FOLLOW THE DEKE!!!!!! :Salute

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks All,

Previously, i have put Ring up,lights down on one RCD and Ring down and lights up on the other RCD.

Other circuits i have spread across the 2 RCD's for loading purposes ie kitchen ring on one RCD and cooker on the other RCD.

This is purely because of cost as i always try to fit RCBO's!!!!!

I put everything in my own house on one RCD, and the shed on a seperate RCD, that way if the leccy trips I can go to the shed and not have to listen to the missus moaning at me to get it fixed.! :)

I put everything in my own house on one RCD, and the shed on a seperate RCD, that way if the leccy trips I can go to the shed and not have to listen to the missus moaning at me to get it fixed.! :)
I am in Chorlton tomorrow, Barlow Moor Road fancy a brew?

dont tell the mrs, but I used to be 'friends' with a lass on Barlow Moor road. ;)

are you there all day?

Im in wigan am, but pm is my own to decide where I go, would be good.

dont tell the mrs, but I used to be 'friends' with a lass on Barlow Moor road. ;) are you there all day?

Im in wigan am, but pm is my own to decide where I go, would be good.
I just want to know where you are so I can go and console Maggie :)